Using the TM with thunderbolt?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lukester, Jun 26, 2015.

1. lukester macrumors 6502

I just bought a new hi speed back up HD for my 17" mid 2010 before I decided to buy a new computer and I got a G Drive with Fire wire 800 and usb 3.0
    I partitioned the drive 600 GIG for the TM and 400 Gig for extra space to relieve my HD on the computer.
    I found out that when the computer went to sleep the HD disconnected and and you had to pull the plug and restart the drive all the time. Not so using the USB 3.0 port. Why?

Also on the new MacBooks with thunderbolt, if you have a thunderbolt drive will it act the same way and disconnect?

I am using the USB 3.0 on it now and there is no problem,, on my new MBP 2014

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

You could simply keep using USB. If your hard drive is a mechanical one (it likely is) the extra speed from Thunderbolt will be of exactly zero benefit.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have a Drobo Mini and I have no issues or problems if I connect it using TB or USB

4. lukester thread starter macrumors 6502

I have a 512 gig SSD in my 17" laptop which I am going to sell and still have the original HD that I could put back in it but I figured the laptop will sell quicker and at a higher price if I leave the SSD in it..
    I used the old HD in a small case for my TM.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Then using thunderbolt will provide no benefit. The extra speed would only show with a SSD in the external case.

6. lukester thread starter macrumors 6502

I was thinking of using a thunderbolt to firewire adapter for the new TM drive but I didn't like when I used firewire 800 on my older 17" when it went to sleep, it would disconnect the drive, not so with usb 3.0
    I would like to use it with the adapter to free up the port.