Using the USB port on the back of an external drive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Spikeanator6982, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Spikeanator6982 macrumors 6502

OK..i know this is a wierd question but hey..

I want to get/use a EyeTv 250 plus, but the requirements say usb 2.0, which I do not have on my computer. I would assume 1.1 wont be fast enough. I have an external hard drive connected to my computer using FW 400. can I use the USB port on the external hd to hook up the eyetv? the port is USB 2.0. all i would need is an adapter bc the port is a usb "b" port. will this work?

the manual i got witht the drive says "you may only have one computer interface directly connected to the drive at a time. ......" and the eyetv wouldnt be a computer interface would it? as its only an input device, and u can daisey chain other things to the drive with fw. so..I am pretty sure it woul work..but i dont want to go and get teh adapter and my hopes up without having this work.

any ideas?

2. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

No, you can't use the USB at the same time as Firewire.
    But USB 2.0 PCI cards are dirt cheap on eBay - I bought 3 for $3.00 each plus shipping - they all work. The ones I bought use the VIA chipset.

PS - Oh, I see you have an eMac - I don't know if you have PCI slots -- sorry.

3. Spikeanator6982 thread starter macrumors 6502

and..how would i hook them up to my emac?

4. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

As gsahli correctly stated, it won't work.

With an old eMac, I figure your only option would be to get an Firewire-based tuner.