Using the VZW iPhone 4 on Cruise Ships

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tmzn32, Mar 22, 2011.

1. tmzn32 macrumors newbie

Out of curiosity, are you able to use your iphone 4 mywi tethering or 3G data? I just don't want to be smacked with an outrageous bill because I decided to go on the internet a few times.

2. TSW910 macrumors newbie

well, i didn't have the iPhone4 yet, but i did have a VZW blackberry and it did work and i did use it to download emails to my BB and when i got home, i didn't notice any crazy price increase for my web/email usage .. but YMMV

3. Sherifftruman macrumors 6502

Definitely check with your cruise line about the specific ship you'll be on. They should have the name of the provider and compatibility info somewhere. Then go check the provider and see their costs, don;t take anyone on the ships work for it.

I went on a Royal Carribean a couple of years ago and they did have service available (provided by ATT IIRC, I'm not sure if it covered Verizon also), but the cost was similar to overseas roaming, which was outrageously expensive. I ended up turing data roaming off and kept airplane mode switched on except when we docked at Key West.

The ship also provded WiFi in some areas but it also was not free, though this also varies by line and ship.

4. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    When you're at sea, you must use either the ship's WiFi or the ship's cell (if it has one).

Either way, the ship has to pay thousands of dollars a month for a comms satellite link.

So either way, you're going to have to pay. (Exception: some upper class cabins come with some WiFi included.)

When you're at a foreign port, watch out as well. You'll be roaming.