Using the windows 8 upgrade to fresh install on bootcamp?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Orange Furball, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Hello all

I have a desktop that was running Windows 8 until the boot loader or something got deleted. So I went back to Windows 7 on that.

Before I use my windows 8 upgrade that I bought last October on the desktop, I would like to know if there is any known way to use it in Bootcamp. Reason I ask is that I already bought it and don't really like it on my desktop.

Can I fool the system into thinking its the regular OS? Talking with Microsoft support trying to fix my desktop they said it is possible, however it required the $99 advanced support and a Microsoft tool to install (gimmick!) so I said no to that as I can easily get an OEM copy of Windows 8 for $99. Someone out there has to know how to do this!

2. xcodeSyn macrumors 6502a

If I understand you correctly, you want to use a Win 8 upgrade disc to do a clean install, right? This can be done easily as explained here. Also it is exactly the same trick people used for installing Win 7 in BootCamp, just follow the same steps in the 2nd post of this thread, except for Win 8 instead.