Using the X without FaceID or other screen lock?

woodynorman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 26, 2011
I don't use any screen lock. Please don't turn this thread into a discussion of why I should. I'm a big boy. I choose not to for a few reasons.

So how will the iPhone X work without a screen lock and no home button? I pull it out of my pocket...then what? On my 7 plus, I hit the home button twice and I'm at my home screen. How will this work on the X?

joeblow7777

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2010
You wake it with either raise to wake, a tap on the screen, or press the power button. Then I would imagine that you swipe up to go from the lockscreen to homescreen. Pretty much exactly how it should work with FaceID.

woodynorman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 26, 2011
Thanks for the info. I forgot about raise to wake. And I didnt know about tapping the screen.

I hope FaceID works flawlessly. I would like to be able to lock/unlock my phone without my fingers. I cant use Touch ID. I'm in construction, and my fingertips are in bad shape, and usually covered in water, dirt, glue and other gunk.

Reactions: Diorama

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I didn't know Face I.D. was an option. I guess I could Skip when going through setting it up out from the box.
This is what I am leaning towards. The only reason I ever used screen lock is because Touch ID was so convenient, I had to tap the home button anyway so might as well add security.

But if Face ID does not work properly for my use cases, I'm just going to go old-school and leave no lock or protection on the phone at all. Just pick up and go.

inkahauts

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2014
I don't use any screen lock. Please don't turn this thread into a discussion of why I should. I'm a big boy. I choose not to for a few reasons.

So how will the iPhone X work without a screen lock and no home button? I pull it out of my pocket...then what? On my 7 plus, I hit the home button twice and I'm at my home screen. How will this work on the X?
I am wondering if it would actually be faster with Face ID on, since you raise to wake it and Face ID could log you in and go to the home screen without you having to touch anything. Otherwise you’d have to swipe your finger on the screen.