using time capsule as a storage device only

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by mrjef40, Apr 6, 2019.

1. mrjef40 macrumors newbie

All,
    I have a 3 TB time capsule that I love as a storage device but hated as a router.
    Is it possible to still use it as a storage device via my newer and faster router?
    Sorry if this is a simple question/solution, I'm a bit of a networking novice.

thank you.

J

2. techwarrior macrumors 65816

techwarrior

Yes.

In AP Utility, navigate to Network and set Router Mode to: Off (Bridged Mode). If you don't want it acting as a WiFi hotspot, also turn Wireless to Off on the Wireless tab.

TC and Extreme cannot "Join" a wireless network the way express can, so the network uplink has to be wired.

3. reukiodo macrumors regular

reukiodo

That's odd... as I have our TimeCapsule connected wirelessly to our main router and we only use it as TimeMachine backup storage...

4. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I use my TC as a NAS (for ease of use with Apple TV).

It also extends my Wifi, which is setup using an AE. Both 5 GHz. No problems.

5. Significant1 macrumors 6502a

It can. I had mine running like that a brief period. If was slow though (at least with encrypted disk images). If I recall correctly, it is only an option when resetting the configuration and setting up from scratch (disk content is not naffected by reset).

6. palebluedot macrumors 6502a

palebluedot

ATV can see a TC as a NAS?

7. techwarrior macrumors 65816

techwarrior

In a roundabout way, yes.

TC can share files and folders as SMB share. Plex, Infuse, etc can stream directly from SMB shares can thus use TC as the file source for music and videos.

8. palebluedot macrumors 6502a

palebluedot

Ah, got it. What is better... SMB or AFP? For speed, security, reliability?

9. jeyf macrumors 65816

i use SMB
    4example: "smb://myNAS/myFILES/public"
    but
    your free to type "afp://myNAS/myFILES/public"

see for your self which one works best
    i have not used it myself but a hard drive speed test ?= blackMagic

10. techwarrior macrumors 65816

techwarrior

AFP is fine for Macs, but most of these apps probably use SMB. I suspect SMB may be more secure, and speed is probably not much of a factor once you connect you are just streaming the file so network speed will be the determining factor.

SMB is now default for file sharing, so Apple is probably close to deprecating AFP?