using time capsule as a storage device only

mrjef40

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2014
All,
I have a 3 TB time capsule that I love as a storage device but hated as a router.
Is it possible to still use it as a storage device via my newer and faster router?
Sorry if this is a simple question/solution, I'm a bit of a networking novice.

thank you.

J

techwarrior

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2009
Colorado
Yes.

In AP Utility, navigate to Network and set Router Mode to: Off (Bridged Mode). If you don't want it acting as a WiFi hotspot, also turn Wireless to Off on the Wireless tab.

TC and Extreme cannot "Join" a wireless network the way express can, so the network uplink has to be wired.

reukiodo

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2013
Earth
That's odd... as I have our TimeCapsule connected wirelessly to our main router and we only use it as TimeMachine backup storage...

MacsRgr8

macrumors 604
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
I use my TC as a NAS (for ease of use with Apple TV).

It also extends my Wifi, which is setup using an AE. Both 5 GHz. No problems.

Significant1

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2014
TC and Extreme cannot "Join" a wireless network the way express can, so the network uplink has to be wired.
It can. I had mine running like that a brief period. If was slow though (at least with encrypted disk images). If I recall correctly, it is only an option when resetting the configuration and setting up from scratch (disk content is not naffected by reset).

palebluedot

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
In a roundabout way, yes.

TC can share files and folders as SMB share. Plex, Infuse, etc can stream directly from SMB shares can thus use TC as the file source for music and videos.

Ah, got it. What is better... SMB or AFP? For speed, security, reliability?

jeyf

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2009
i use SMB
4example: "smb://myNAS/myFILES/public"
but
your free to type "afp://myNAS/myFILES/public"

see for your self which one works best
i have not used it myself but a hard drive speed test ?= blackMagic

techwarrior

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2009
Colorado
Ah, got it. What is better... SMB or AFP? For speed, security, reliability?

AFP is fine for Macs, but most of these apps probably use SMB. I suspect SMB may be more secure, and speed is probably not much of a factor once you connect you are just streaming the file so network speed will be the determining factor.

SMB is now default for file sharing, so Apple is probably close to deprecating AFP?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.