Using Time Capsule for extra storage for Lightroom?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by alexxk, Nov 2, 2016.

1. alexxk macrumors 6502

Hello All,

I need a new computer to edit my lightroom photos. Since the new Macbook saw a price bump I'm thinking about getting the base macbook and getting a 2 TB time capsule to store my photos.

Questions is, how does lightroom perform having the photos stored in an wireless drive? My photos have 25-27MB as I shoot raw photos..

Has anyone tried and what has been your experience?

2. priitv8 macrumors 68030

I would only expect a painful experience out of that. TC (wireless) speeds are not really meant for this.
    The only thing I would trust to TC is long-time archival of your files. But then again, USB3.0 drive gets you there as well, only cheaper.
    A working set of your files and scratch disk should be as local as possible.
    I personally use still Aperture and I can edit my 24Mp raw files with OK performance on Thunderbolt-connected external SSD (about 400MBps throughput). Once done, I archive them on external USB-drive.
    From TC wirelessly, you can expect about 20MBps and 50MBps wired.
    You will find some real-world performance figures of TimeCapsule in this forum as well.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I agree.

OP> The TC is an okay backup device but absolutely horrible when used as a NAS like you are suggesting. The transfer speeds are awful and you will want to gouge your eyes out.

4. alexxk thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys... very helpful, I will look into better options

5. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

I would probably get a thunderbolt 3 drive on ssd, and make the most of it.