Using Time Capsule for non-critical storage

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tbradnc, Dec 6, 2013.

1. tbradnc macrumors member

I just got a 2TB Time Capsule and am loving it.'

I would like to use it for storage for files that I would not mind losing if the TC failed.

However, when open up a Finder window and drag a file to the TC it will not copy and I get a message saying I need to authenticate first.

If I mount the drive using "connect to server" using AFP://TCIPaddress the drive does mount and I can then drag files to the TC.

This extra step is a bit of a drag but I cannot find any way to authenticate when I receive the error message. I suppose I could mount the drive and just leave the window open but I'd like a more seamless solution.

Is there a solution?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

3. tbradnc thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Weaselboy - those are the default settings. :)

(well, except for remembering the password on a keychain but that's definitely not the issue).

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

This is how I have mine setup and I never have to authenticate. So you are saying you did not tell it to remember the PW in keychain? It seems like that would be why you are being asked to authenticate each time maybe?

5. tbradnc thread starter macrumors member

In the screenshot below I'm dragging a text filed named 'insurance' from the desktop to the TC. Permissions on the file are read/write.

I never get as far as being able to authenticate - it never asks for my password. You'll notice it says "click to authenticate" - but there is no place *to* authenticate.

Attached Files:

6. Alrescha macrumors 68020

I would suggest you make a folder in the root directory (do what ever you need to do to get it created and owned by you). Once you do that, you should be able to drag and drop in to that folder.

You'll always have to connect to the TimeCapsule, but should be as easy as clicking on its icon on the left side of Finder and double-clicking your folder.

A.

7. tbradnc, Dec 6, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013

tbradnc thread starter macrumors member

So, basically what you're saying is that in order to use the TC as a repository for non-critical files I'm not quite ready to delete I'll always need to login via afp://TCipaddres This does work, but it's an extra step and if I close the window I have to reconnect.

I can live with that, but it's not what I'd really like.

----------

8. tbradnc thread starter macrumors member

Window on the left is TC in finder window prior to connecting via AFP.

Window on the right is the TC after logging in via AFP

Attached Files:

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Okay I gotcha and I see the problem.

That Time Capsule entry there under "Shared" is the Time Capsule device itself and not the disk in the Time Capsule, that is not a mounted drive you can drag/drop to.

Double click that Time Capsule shared entry and you will see the Time Capsule drive itself (looks like you named yours "Data"). Double click that and it will mount the drive in Finder. Now just right click there and make a new folder to be used for this temp storage. Now drag that folder into your Finder favorites on the left.

Now open a new Finder window and go to the Desktop folder. You can now drag and drop the file from the desktop to your Time Capsule folder in the Favorites list.

I just tested on my system and it works fine.

10. Alrescha macrumors 68020

I am sorry, I spoke hastily. Let me try again.

The Time Capsule icon on the left of Finder is not a drive, it is a host. In order to drop files somewhere you need to 1) authenticate and 2) mount the Time Capsule drive or a folder on your local machine. Authentication can happen automatically if you have the password saved in Keychain.

The Time Capsule's drive is named 'Data'. I think it is the only thing you can mount if you are using password authentication. If you are using accounts then you have a folder for each account.

I happen to use accounts, but I expect that what happens when you login manually is that you get dumped right into the Data folder.

If you double click Data in Finder it will mount it and be ready to use without you having to do any authentication (assuming you have the password in Keychain). In any case, you're never going to be able to drop files where you currently are trying, as that is a picture of a host - not a drive or folder.

A.

11. tbradnc thread starter macrumors member

That's what I was looking for, thanks!

An interesting thing is that to move a file from the desktop to the TC I have to hold down the command key while dragging.

It's like an uber-big Dropbox....

12. Alrescha macrumors 68020

Finder defaults to 'move' when the source and destination are the same filesystem, but defaults to 'copy' if the filesystems are different.

A.

13. tbradnc thread starter macrumors member

This. I got it now.

Thanks so much for taking the time to explain it, both you and Weaselboy. I appreciate it very much - thanks!

----------

I would rate that as a luxury problem.. :)

14. Htin macrumors regular

Htin

is it normal to get a transfer speed of 15mb/s on wifi when tossing files into the time capsule newest model?

15. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you are on a 802.11N machine, yes, that sounds about right.

16. Htin macrumors regular

Htin

thanks mate, too bad my imac doesnt come with ac :( and not upgradable part...