using time capsule from a remote location?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Vick77, May 20, 2008.

1. Vick77 macrumors member

does anybody know if it's possible to access files stored on a time capsule over an internet connection?
    as in, say the time capsule was connected to an iMac, but then I was away from home in another city with a macbook, is it possible to retrieve any of the files, also would the iMac need to be turned on completely?

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

It sure is. All you'd need to do is enable sharing over WAN in AirPort Utility, then connect to server from the computer you want to log in from, use your computer's IP address (the one assigned by your ISP) and username/password for TC or the HD (depending on how you set up File Sharing in AirPort Utility). I don't have any experience with this, but I don't see why your iMac would need to be on, so long as your router and TC are on and connected.

3. Vick77 thread starter macrumors member

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

Anytime, though I just noticed something with your original post. Are you using the iMac to connect directly to the internet or are you using your TC as a router and connecting your iMac through the TC? If it's the former, I'm not sure if what I said would work. I only know for certain that it will work if the TC is connected to a broadband modem as a router, or to a router/switch as a bridge.

5. Vick77 thread starter macrumors member

no im planning on using the time capsule as my broadband router, so ill be able to access the files from a remote location. that's just what i need, means i dont need to use .mac anymore :)