Using Time Capsule JUST for back-ups (not as a router) ..

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mgpg89, Sep 17, 2008.

1. mgpg89 macrumors 6502a

Aug 31, 2008
    Is this possible?
    we already have a router and I just want to use the time capsule for back-ups and to connect a HDD to it to access it wirelessly.

ps, if our router is B/G speed, but the time capsule is N speed, and my MBP is N speed ... the file transfer from and to my HDD wil be in N-speed as well, right?
  2. richxps macrumors 65816

Jun 9, 2008
    good question, i would like to get one of these just as a wireless back up and not use the router atleast until mine dies.
  3. MacBass macrumors 6502

Aug 12, 2005
    La Crosse, WI
    The 802.11n speed will only be obtained if you directly connect to the TC, meaning you'd have to have a wired connection from your router to your MBP.
  4. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Jan 7, 2003
    Washington, DC
    The TC should be able to be set up to provide wireless access without doing the router-ing itself. I.e., your router does the DHCP assignment, but the TC distributes a wireless connection to your local network. If you do that and connect wirelessly then you can get N speeds. And if connect with a wire, then you'll get gigabit speeds, not just N-wireless speeds.

Check apple's website (or search here) for a thorough configuration guide on Airport Extreme/Express and Time Capsule. All the possible configurations are covered.
  5. skorpien macrumors 68020

Jan 14, 2008