Using Time Capsule only as a Wired Network Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ArmitageIII, Mar 24, 2009.

1. ArmitageIII macrumors newbie

Hi, I am not really new here or new to anything mac. But this is my first time actually posting instead of lurking.

Here is the Problem. I work at a university and one of our labs just bought the 1TB time capsule for their macs. Under our policy we cannot have the Wireless on while it also being connected to the network. So the only 2 options are to use it only as a wireless hub for backing up to, or connect it to our network.

It's obvious that if all the devices are physically plugged into the Time Capsule then you can back up to it.

What I am trying to figure out is to basically just make the Time Capsule a drive on our network. So we would have a cord coming from our network, into the time capsule and that's it. Basically turning off the router capabilities and wireless. And then people would be able to access it over our network.

Any ideas/experiences ?

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

Yup. Just set the DHCP on the TC to "Off (Bridge Mode)" and turn off the wireless on it. It will act as a wired gateway to your network (allowing any physically attached computers access to your network) as well as making the drive available to any computer attached to the network.

Do a search on Bridge Mode Time Capsule if you need to figure out how to do that. I believe that should work the way you want it to.

3. ArmitageIII thread starter macrumors newbie

I was looking for the setting to bridge the actual device and could never find it, which is why I came here to ask =]

Thanks!

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

Anytime. Just did a google search and came up with this. Hope it helps :)

[​IMG]

5. ArmitageIII thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup I just got done setting it up.

For some reason my google search sucks because I couldn't find the bridge setting =]

6. scott451 macrumors newbie

... and if that doesn't work

hi,

i have tried this at home and, strangely enough, it doesn't seem to work. is there any known reason for this behavior ? maybe adsl box / routeur is at fault...

thanks for any help,

scott

7. skorpien macrumors 68020

What exactly are you trying that isn't working?