Using Time Capsule to Access Internet for Older Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by barnesdholakia, Jan 18, 2010.

1. barnesdholakia macrumors newbie

I am the Principal of a school and because of budget cuts - scary piece ahead - also the tech coordinator. I have a few older eMacs, some with airport cards and some without. My question/problem: I want to hook an eMac 10.4.11 directly into the Time Capsule to access the internet (the time capsule is acting as an extension of our wireless network). I have done this before successfully using an airport extreme, however, I am not successful to date in doing this with time capsule. It has been a while since I set up a computer this way. My question is am I missing a trick (using ethernet cord into LAN port), or is it not possible. Many thanks to anyone with insight...

2. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

I have an iMac & 2 switches plugged directly into my Time Capsule. One switch has my Dish Network receiver, my Slingbox Solo & my AppleTV plugged into it. The other switch has my MacBook Pro & an original G4 Mac mini. I haven't had to do anything to connected any of these devices to the internet. On the Macs you do want to check that Ethernet is at the top of the list in the Network System Preference & shows it is connected. The only time I have had a problem turned out to be a bad ethernet cable. Changing the cable fixed the problem.