Using Time Capsule to move files to windoze

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jamhampster, Nov 16, 2009.

1. jamhampster macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, I've searched high and low trying to solve this issue. I want to use Time Capsule as an external hard drive that is readable in Windows so I can transfer over files. I know that the Time Capsule must be formatted as FAT32. I don't even care about my Time Machine backups--I'm fine with deleting them all and reformatting so partitioning need not be done.

How do I do this??? Disk utility does NOT show the Time Capsule hard drive so I'm lost.

Please help!
    Thanks so much!

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

Time Capsule does NOT need to be formatted FAT32. PCs connecting to the Time Capsule use SMB to connect and access the hard drive. The TC's internal drive shows up as being formatted FAT32 on Windows PCs, but in fact it is formatted HFS+. Install AirPort Utility for Windows on your PC. It will come with AirPort Base Station Agent, which allows your computer to connect to the TC's hard drive and access it as a networked drive. No need to format TC or lose backups or anything else.

By the way, you cannot connect the Time Capsule to your PC via USB if you are thinking of using it as an external drive that way. Your PC needs to join the Time Capsule's network, either wired or wirelessly.

3. jamhampster thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!!

Man you are a LIFESAVER!! I was at the end of my rope and this helped me immensely. Thank you SO MUCH!

Jesse