Using Time Machine for the first time

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dlandry6, Jun 7, 2012.

1. dlandry6, Jun 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2012

dlandry6 macrumors newbie

Hi there. I had a question I am trying to use time machine but it won't let me pick a hard drive. I bought it around september of 2011. I never used the time machine because I am new to using mac computers.

Does anyone have a idea of how i might be able to fix time machine??? I am going to put bootcamp on my mac so I thought it might be a good idea to put it on before I start the installation.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You mentioned Time Capsule in your subject, and that is a hardware device made by Apple that combines a router with an internal hard drive for backup. Do you own a Time Capsule device you are trying to use for backup?

Time Machine is the built in backup system in OS X and if you have a Time Capsule you would use Time Machine to backup to the Time Capsule device. (Curse Apple for these names as it is confusing for new users)

If you open the Time Machine pref pane from system preferences you should be able to click "Select Disk" like shown in my screenshot and just pick either Your Time Capsule or any other connected hard drive as the backup destination.

[​IMG]

3. dlandry6, Jun 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2012

dlandry6 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.

For some reason it won't let me choose a hard drive when I set up time machine.
    It says set up other time capsule but no hard drive can be chosen :confused:

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Okay... just so I am clear. You do not own an Apple Time Capsule (router hard drive combo)... correct?

What kind of drive are you trying to use for backup? An external USB drive perhaps? Any drive you use will need to be formatted. Start Disk Utility from the /Applications/Utilities folder and select the external disk then Mac OS Extended as the format and click the erase button I pointed to in my screen cap. Before clicking you can name the drive whatever you want where it says "untitled" in my screen cap.

Once you have formatted the drive by following this process, you should be able to select the drive for a backup destination in the Time Machine pane.

[​IMG]

5. dlandry6 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks that helped.

No I do not have a time Capsule... I misunderstood the two. Time machine and Time capsule.

6. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

What disk are you trying to backup onto?? You cannot backup to your internal drive unless you split it (partition) into 2 drives.