Using Time Machine on new external drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macbook123, Nov 15, 2011.

1. macbook123 macrumors 68000

Hello,

I have a new external drive (Lacie little big disk) that is in RAID0 mode and has only one partition. I already moved several important files to it including Aperture library.

I am wondering if when I set it up as backup disk for Time Machine, if that will erase the files on there now?

Thank you.

2. simsaladimbamba

It will not, as TM backs up into one folder with lots of subfolders, thus it will work to use that HDD as backup disk for TM.

Time Machine FAQ

PS: Do you backup the LaCie disk regularly to another HDD?

3. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

I just want to make sure I understand you correctly. I'm looking at this sub link from the link you sent:

http://web.me.com/pondini/Time_Machine/6.html

It says that certain conditions have to be met if I don't want the data to be erased. I don't see either GUID not Apple Partition Map when I follow the directions. At the bottom of the Disk Utility panel, it only says

Disk Description: Apple RAID
    Set Name "LaCie"
    Type: Striped RAID Set
    Version: AppleRAID version 2.0

Are these the proper prerequisites for using it as a Time machine backup without erasing data?

To answer your question, yes, I plan to keep regular backups of the entire LaCie drive. Are you asking because they suck?

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

sorry for hijacking but i was about to start a similar thread

i currently have a 500GB drive in my MBP and i have an external 500GB harddrive i do Time Machine backups too

im thinking about getting a 1TB internal and a 1TB external, how would i go about transfering my old backups from the old external to the new one?

is it as simple as pluging both externals into the MBP and copy the contents on the old one to the new one?