Using Time Machine + S3?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by crewsd, Jan 18, 2010.

1. crewsd macrumors newbie

Hey,

I'm trying to make my S3 bucket the place where I do my Time Machine backup. Seems safer than backing up sporadically to an external drive that I might forget. I've tried mounting my S3 with ExpanDrive, but Time Machine won't recognize that as a usable drive. Is there any way around this or to just get it to work?

Thanks.

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

I'm confused by your statement here. Especially by the words "sporadically" and "forget". How do you think Time Machine works? Do you think it requires user intervention?

Anyway: No clue if this still works: defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1

3. crewsd thread starter macrumors newbie

I use a laptop. I'm not going to have my drive plugged into it all the time, and I'll only do it randomly...whenever I remember.

4. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Get an Airport Extreme. You can hang the drive off the back of that.

Or if you have another mac on your network, you can use a shared disk off that as well.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Hourly TM backups are nice, but I see no reason to leave your drive on and running in the middle of the night when your system logs are the only things that change. For those that realize that hard drive lifespan is limited, leaving a hard drive running 24/7 is both pointless and wasteful.

afaik TM is not compatible with S3. It pops up here every once in a while and searching through the previous threads didn't turn up anything useful.

6. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Drives sleep. Computers sleep. If you sleep your Mac, then no Time Machine backup takes place while you sleep. Besides, we're talking about a laptop.

7. crewsd thread starter macrumors newbie

Looks like I might be buying a Time Capsule then, thanks.