Using Time Machine to Migrate date between Macs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DAMAC3, Apr 9, 2009.

1. DAMAC3 macrumors regular

I'm still fairly new to the Mac world. I know I wouldn't want to take an Windows image of a hard drive from a dell laptop and restore it to an Hp desktop or any mis-matching like that due to hardware and driver differences. But I was wondering if it is OK to use my time machine backups of my Macbook Air and restore that to an iMac that is on its way. I am actually selling the Macbook Air once I have the iMac set up and running smooth. I could easily copy my documents, pictures, etc. And I could export my bookmarks and settings with Firefox, but I would prefer to not have reinstall all the apps I have, all the plugins in Firefox, and all the settings I have the way I like in OS X.

So I am looking for advice on the best method for migration to a different computer. Is Time Machine my best bet?

2. pdjudd macrumors 601

Should work - one of the demoed features of time machine was that you can you use it as a recovery. You can also use migration assistant directly and cut out the middleman of time machine. That of course assumes that you will have both Macs in your possession at the same time.

3. DAMAC3 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I'll have them both for a couple days. I will look into the migration assistant. Thanks! I just wondered if a Time Machine backup from one Mac would be OK for other Macs (like a MBP to an iMac or MBA to Mac Mini, etc).

4. weekendsrule32 macrumors member

I am almost certain when you first start up your new mac, there will be an option to load off of a time machine back up. And as far as it being o.k, as in legal or what not, it certainly is.

5. serega macrumors regular

I did transfer everything, including programs when set up my new Alu Mac Book thru wireless connection. I did not know how to do it but it had guide me thru.