Using Time Machine to only backup iPhoto

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kensation, Jan 29, 2011.

1. kensation macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have a rather unusual request. My parents just purchased an external hard drive to backup the photo's that they have in iPhoto. Currently they have close to 11GB of photos. It's rather tedious having to move the images from the local drive to the external any time something is changed/updated. Is it possible to setup Time Machine to only backup the iPhoto library? I know you can set it to exclude certain files/folders, but I didn't know if there was an easier way to single out just the iPhoto Library. Or if there is something other than Time Machine that would be a welcomed suggestions as well.

I also have a secondary question. Is it possible to still use the external drive as an external drive even if the drive is selected as the primary drive for Time Machine (i.e. still move other documents/files from the local computer to the external drive)?

Thanks,

Kenny

2. simsaladimbamba

Time Machine only has the EXCLUDE options, therefore you have to exclude everything except the iPhoto Library file. Tedious, but doable, but Apple must have used their arses when thinking of that.

Another free option is CarbonCopyCloner, which can be set to automatically update a folder or file you set it to backup.

And if you use TM or CCC, you can also use the external HDD for storing other files.

Time Machine FAQ

3. walterwhite macrumors 6502

walterwhite

I use Backup - software that comes with mobile me... but im sure there are others out there. It can backup on a schedule and you pick exactly what you want it to do and where you want it. you can also run several... iPhoto on a daily and say iTunes on a weekly and each on different drives.