Using Time Machine to reinstate files after SL install?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bonswizzle, Aug 21, 2009.

1. bonswizzle macrumors member

bonswizzle

I was just wondering how it works using Time Machine to get everything back on my Mac after installing SL via a clean install.. Will everything be exactly as it was before the wipe and install, or are there certain things, like Mail for example that will need to be reconfigured?

Any advice would be helpful, thanks.

2. stuarthatto macrumors regular

3. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Everything will be back where it belongs as you had it before. Some apps will need to do upgrades to its resources from what you previously had, such as Mail.app in 10.6, but you'll have everything as you had it before.

4. pfish macrumors member

Is it possible to only restore selected files?

5. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

There's only a few options. Different sections, such as files and folder of users, applications, etc. You can pick and choose but not too much.

6. devburke Guest

That's not true. You can always just browse the TM drive and restore any file you want from it.

7. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Ah, yes, I forgot about that. But if don't want to have to restore in that fashion and go through the OS installer you don't have that choice.

8. bonswizzle thread starter macrumors member

bonswizzle

Thanks for the replies, very helpful.

Would any of you recommend doing a clean install instead of just popping in the disk and letting it update?

9. devburke Guest

A clean install is a lot more work cuz you have to kind of remake everything you've ever set up. But some of us like to do it cuz an OS upgrade is just an opportunity for a little Spring cleaning. But it's not at all necessary. Just doing a regular upgrade you'll be fine.

10. bonswizzle thread starter macrumors member

bonswizzle

Cool, well I've only had my MacBook since May so I'm sure I'll be fine just installing straight over Leopard and having a little tidy up based on that. Now I just need Snow Leopard!

11. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

A clean install is always nice because it helps with permissions and everything. But you gain a lot of space back with just upgrading.