Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Slartibartfast42

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2019
Surrey, UK
I'm trying to restore a file from my trash/bin from last month. I found a way to view hidden folders, but that was from many OS versions ago and when I try it it doesn't show a .trash in the Finder.

So does anyone know a way which works in Ventura.

I believe there should be a TM backup containing the file I'm after as I don't empty the bin very often.

In hope........

TIA

TorbenIbsen

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2021
Since you use Time Machine you should be able to open Time Machine and go back in time to a point before you deleted the file. The file will normally be there, so you can restore it. - So you do not have to look in the trash bin to find the file.

Reactions: gilby101

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Not at my Mac right now, but believe Trash is an excluded item by default in Time Machine.

ADD: yes, Trash is on my exclude list. Just not sure if it came that way or I added it (been years since added anything to the exclude list).

ADD2: besides checking in TM settings, can also enter in Terminal window:

Code:
% tmutil isexcluded ~/.Trash
[Excluded]    /System/Volumes/Data/Users/youridhere/.Trash
%

Last edited:
Reactions: gilby101

Slartibartfast42

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2019
Surrey, UK
Thank you both. It's an installer I downloaded - I installed the software then deleted the installer. There wasn't a TM backup in the intervening time so that's why I was trying to recover it from the trash.

However @NoBoMac, the trash doesn't appear in my excluded list.

It's not the end of the world I just wanted to use the UN-installer which is part of the Installer package......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.