using time machine to restore game app

Discussion in 'iMac' started by spoon72, Apr 1, 2012.

1. spoon72 macrumors regular

spoon72

I need help... I accidentally reset my game "career mode" to zero percent ,I tried using time machine to previous date to re-install the game but it still in the current state of zero percent. Did I use the wrong method to restore?:(

2. LaWally, Apr 1, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2012

LaWally macrumors 6502a

Restoring the "application" might not work if the file containing your "career mode" is in say the /User/Library/[game]/~ path.

I suspect you only need to restore a single file. I would restore that file from TM from the day before you accidentally reset the "career mode".

If you can't locate the game folder in your /User/Library path the game developer might have info on which file to restore or you might do a search on the internet or if you specify the game here, someone might be able to help.

3. spoon72 thread starter macrumors regular

spoon72

but i restore the whole app still didn't help ... so to say I doing it wrong? time machine not that simple to use?

4. LaWally, Apr 1, 2012

LaWally macrumors 6502a

Your use of TM was good, but the point I was trying to make is that when you restore an application, you are restoring it in the /Application folder.

A lot of applications create a separate folder in the users home folder to store user related items like preferences, game results, etc. Restoring an application would not restore items related to the application in your home folder.

I'm guessing there is a file in your /User/Library/~ path that contains information for your game, including your "career mode" data. That is the file you need to restore.

Edit:

For example, if the name of your game is "StarWars", search your /User folder for a folder called "StarWars". If you find one, that is what you should restore.

5. spoon72 thread starter macrumors regular

spoon72

does mac os hide file? I'm able to locate the save state file inside the library -> application save state folder by dragging the game app to my app cleaner then double click on that link it bring me there but when i tried to go from the time machine from there i try to look for the same application save state file it wasn't there at all.

6. spoon72, Apr 1, 2012

spoon72 thread starter macrumors regular

spoon72

[​IMG][/IMG]
    it seem the library inside the apple folder it hidden?

found my solution to un hidden the library ...

7. spoon72 thread starter macrumors regular

spoon72

I'm not able to open terminal to unhidden the library in the time machine,how can I do it?

8. LaWally, Apr 1, 2012

LaWally macrumors 6502a

1. Open a Finder window.
    2. Click on your User folder
    3. Click and hold "Go" in the menu bar and at the same time press and hold the option key
    4. The Library folder will appear in the list
    5. Select the Library folder in the usual manner
    6. Click on Time Machine in the dock

EDIT: Sorry, left off that last step.