Using Time Machine to revert Lion to Snow Leopard - file loss?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by CaptSaltyJack, Oct 20, 2011.

1. CaptSaltyJack macrumors 6502

I'd like to use the Lion recovery mode to restore to Snow Leopard via my Time Machine back up. I'm wondering if I will also lose any new/modified files since the Lion install? (I'm guessing yes)

2. Blipp macrumors 6502

The Snow Leopard OS is not in your time machine backup, just your user files. You'll need to use Snow Leopard install DVDs if you want to wipe your computer and then reinstall SL. Once you have SL installed you can user Migration Assistant to carry over your user files from the time machine backup.

3. CaptSaltyJack thread starter macrumors 6502

Just for the record, for anyone else searching, this is false. Time Machine was backing up my entire system, and so booting into the Lion recovery mode and doing a restore from the Time Machine actually reverted my entire OS back to Snow Leopard. Worked like a charm! And yes, any new files or modifications were lost since the Lion upgrade, but that's a minor point.

4. CaptSaltyJack thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh, not only that, but once I was back in Snow Leopard, I was able to "restore from the future" (the Lion backups) to grab files back. Pretty spiffy.

5. CaptSaltyJack thread starter macrumors 6502

UPDATE: since moving back to Snow Leopard, Time Machine decided for whatever reason to brilliantly remove all my old backups older than yesterday. Not a big deal since I have everything I need and I also use CrashPlan, but this is definitely something to be aware of.

6. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Thanks for the updates. You can also create a separate backup of documents and then restore those, since they'd be more recent than the stuff in Time Machine, depending on how your backups are structured.

And you also lose the versions that are built into Lion; not sure there's a way to salvage those during a downgrade.

Rob

7. CaptSaltyJack thread starter macrumors 6502

Why is someone down-ranking our posts? What is this, kindergarten?

8. jmattv macrumors newbie

Need to revert to Snow Leopard from Lion-best way?

I am not certain I fully understand the thread regarding the use of Time Capsule or a Snow Leopard Disk to revert back from Lion OS X 10.7 and I am not clear of the Time Capsule process itself. If I use a Snow Leopard disk (retail white) that was purchased from Apple recently for an iMac will that leave the time capsule backup data intact or will it wipe it? I fear that Lion is taxing the MBP beyond its capabilities or else it is just getting old at 66 months of age.

It's slow, Apps stop working, it stalls & has been acting like a and old x68 for awhile now. It's not disability-friendly anymore. Can someone tell me my best option to try? Di I need to wipe it and just install Snow Leopard and be done with it? My Time Capsule goes back two years but I wouldn't know where Snow Leopard is because it was only on it for 10 minutes at the Genius Bar before they put Lion on top of it.
    Thanks for any advise.
    -jmattv