Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

supern0va

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2010
Am getting a new iMac tomorrow, and am thinking of using Time Machine to transfer the data over from my MacBook Pro.

Was wondering, since the iMac comes with a 1 TB HDD, if I want to partition the HDD (to store stuff e.g. videos/music..), should I do it before the transfer or after the transfer? Or does it not matter?

Thks!

Barnzee

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2010
Oak Harbor, WA
Am getting a new iMac tomorrow, and am thinking of using Time Machine to transfer the data over from my MacBook Pro.

Was wondering, since the iMac comes with a 1 TB HDD, if I want to partition the HDD (to store stuff e.g. videos/music..), should I do it before the transfer or after the transfer? Or does it not matter?

Thks!

It doesn't matter as long as you have the space for the partition. I would do it after.

DanielCoffey

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2010
Edinburgh, UK
It would not be advisable to put TM on the *same* internal drive as your data because if that drive fails you have lost both your source and your backup.

There is nothing particularly wrong with pointing TM to a different internal drive but the risk there is that if you lose the machine (say it gets stolen) or you have to send it into the Genius bar, the data is then taken out of your hands. If your machine is a write-off and they send you back a different one, your backup is gone. This is the main reason external caddies are popular.

One particularly effective solution is to use a second internal or any external drive for your regular TM backup and additionally mirror that backup to an offsite location (usually online).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.