using time machine with a portable

Discussion in 'macOS' started by excalibur313, Jan 1, 2008.

1. excalibur313 macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

I have a macbook pro and I'm looking at getting an external to do time machine. I am curious what happens when I don't have the hard drive plugged in and I make changes. Are the changes logged on the computer and then all transferred over when I plug it in or can I only take advantage of the going back features? I have a pretty big hard drive, so space isn't the issue, but I do most of my work away from the hard drive until I come home at night to plug it in. Do I really need a NAS option instead for work patterns like this?

2. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

I just went to an Apple workshop today, and what I was told was that while the backup drive wasn't plugged in time machine would stop and pretend like it isn't being used and then restart when it is plugged back in.

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

notebooks make up most of Apple's computer sales. you dont think their just gonna gip you with time machine do you?

have a look under "Ready when you are" here

4. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

Well that answers the OP's question. And I guess the workshop host person lied.

5. excalibur313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

Wow, thanks a lot for your help! I guess this means that it probably would be a better idea just to go with a regular external instead of going through the headaches of figuring out a NAS huh? Is SATA worth the hassel?

6. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I don't know if "lie" is the word I'd use. He probably just wasn't trained properly and thus passed on bad info to you guys. It's a shame really that he wasn't informed properly.

Word to the wise for the OP: get an external that you "think" is too big. The reason I say this is because Time Machine will store all changed versions of a file, so if you frequently work on large projects and make corrections/edits, you'll want some wiggle room.

7. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i wish i have an oppurtunity to be a mac genius. most of the people here who post the information they received from them either seems untrue or they are just guessing. i have been helping out a lot of users in macumors and it seems that their questions are very direct and easy to answer. but then theres the hardware issues that i dont know much about.