Using time machine with mavericks

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by phonyreal98, Oct 22, 2013.

1. phonyreal98 macrumors newbie

Just updated to mavericks this afternoon...wanted to make a time machine backup tonight but it looks like time machine gets to the "preparing" stage and gets stuck....any idea what I should do?

2. Toby Ziegler macrumors regular

Toby Ziegler

I'm having the same issue over here. I'm stumped as well.

3. ryhopewood macrumors newbie

Same issue for me. I upgraded to Mavericks last night. Left machine running overnight and at around 10 am this morning it is still saying 'Preparing for back-up'.

4. alvinclub macrumors newbie

My time machine keep ejecting itself, try to use another drive for backup it still like this, am I the only one have this issue? :(:(:(

5. alvinclub macrumors newbie

Okay i try to use another hdd dock, Time Machine working right now, seem like Mavericks not support my ORICO and UNITEK hdd dock. >.<

Update: Try to test on sending large file to the ORICO and UNITEK, the dock seem unmount automatically too, it was so annoying.

6. AGEC2008, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013

AGEC2008 macrumors member

Same issue

I'm having the same issue as the OP. Just gets stuck...

Update: So there is no mounted disk on my desktop, and the time machine icon doesn't indicate anything is going on, but when I click on the time machine shortcut it looks like it's backing up.

7. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

oh wow - i just noticed that mine is doing that too.
    it has been preparing backup for over an hour. i figured it would be a huge backup due to the new OS but if you guys are reporting overnight hangs maybe i'll stop it and try again tonight.

that sounds like something that will be fixed quickly.

EDIT
    whoops - check that, it just kicked in abotu 5 minutes after i made the above post. 32.4 gb backup
    are you sure you guys gave it enough time to prepare - that's a pretty substantial amount of data to sort.

8. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

My first backup to my previous time machine backup (ML) took a while for the preparing backup to complete. What gets me is there is no longer the mounted drive icon on the desktop. Why did they eliminate this???

9. TsunamiTheClown macrumors 6502a

TsunamiTheClown

Isn't that a preference in Finder, to show mounted drives on the desktop? Migh check for that in Finder -> Preferences -> General "Show these items on the desktop"

10. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

If you mean show connected servers in the Finder prefs, yes I have that checked.

11. jacob517, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013

jacob517 macrumors newbie

I got same issue here, I'm using a toshiba external disk for my time machine, not sure if there is any connection with the backup disk I'm using.:(

UPDATE: I finished my backup in about 2.5 hours, I guess it takes more time at your first backup on maverick.

12. Middleman-77 macrumors member

I suggest if you have an existing Time Machine backup used with your previous OS I suggest you just delete it/format it and start again or run Disk Utility > Repair Permissions on the drive and see what turns up. It's probably some sort of file format read/write issue which is causing the error. This is especially apparent if you use older versions such as Snow Leopard 10.6, as since Lion 10.7 Apple made major changes to how drives are formatted under the OS and detected most notably with the File Vault protocol used for their Fusion Drive Core Storage format. File Vault makes some drives that have been formatted in the recent versions of the OS not able to be read in the older ones.

Other than Time Machine, I would suggest using Superduper to clone and backup your drive on a regular basis. A cloned drive made using Superduper is almost 99% guaranteed to boot as an external or replacement drive as the data is more complete than a simple Time Machine backup.

13. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

Mine was stuck preparing too. I let it run overnight and it completed the backup.

14. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

My backup is still going. I just wish the mounted backup showed up on the desktop like before.

15. Alameda macrumors 6502a

Alameda

I appreciate the thread. I hadn't thought of this, but it's probably a good idea to start a whole new Time Machine now that Mavericks is on my machine and running well.

16. Toby Ziegler macrumors regular

Toby Ziegler

I ended up using a Terminal command that tells the Mac to inherit the existing backups (had to do this when I installed a new HDD over the summer) and did a reboot of my Time Machine for good measure.

After a few minutes it started backing up about 34GB of data.

The Terminal commands are in this article with a detailed explanation of what it does. I can't say for sure that this is what got my backups going again, but considering that it sat there doing nothing for almost 90 minutes before I tried this...well, it's a happy coincidence if that's the case. Link to article: http://pondini.org/TM/B6.html

17. phonyreal98 thread starter macrumors newbie

Update: Followed Toby's advice, time machine is backing up to external hard drive right now. Huge backup by time machine's standards (20+ GB) so it's going to take awhile.