Using TimeCapsule as internal HDD

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JaBeR, May 24, 2014.

1. JaBeR macrumors newbie

Hi,

my eng is crap sry.

I have a 2TB TimeCapsule , i just lost some serious pictures in it :( so i decided to pull out the HDD from timecapsule and pluged it in the case, to boot it and run a recovery program to recover my photos,

But the problem is , I can't see any additional drive in my computer,

Is there any powerful recovery program to recover my photos through network ?
    Because timecapsule is only accessable from network ( as far as i know )

Any solution?!

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Does it show in Disk Utility or System Information/System Profiler?

3. JaBeR thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried it with my desktop pc ( windows 8 installed ) , not a mac.

4. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Time Capsule hard drives are formatted using the HFS+ file system which can't be natively read by Windows. Something like this would make it accessible on a Windows machine:

http://www.paragon-drivers.com/hfs-windows/

5. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

If you have the drive "in hand", get something like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Optimized-Ina...029619&sr=8-2&keywords=inateck+usb3+sata+dock

A dock makes it easy to work with "bare" drives.

For data recovery software, you might try "DataRescue3". There is also DiskDrill and Stellar Phoenix Data Recovery, among others.

ALL of the data recovery apps work the same way:
    1. You download the app for free
    2. You "aim it" at the problem drive, and the app "scans and scavenges" to see what it can find.
    3. If the app finds recoverable files, it will present a list of them to you, and allow you to recover -ONE- file only.
    3a. The purpose of the above is to see if the app will be useful to you BEFORE you pay for it.
    4. You now pay the registration fee, get a code, enter the code, and then app "goes to work" on your drive.

IMPORTANT:
    You -MUST- have -ANOTHER- empty drive, which will serve as your "scratch" and "recovered files" drive. You could use a second USB3/SATA dock for this purpose. There are also some "dual" docking stations, as well...

6. JaBeR thread starter macrumors newbie

Humm i think it will be fixed , i'm gonna try that xD thanks,
    i'll post a report after trying that,
    #Fishrman :

Thanks for mentioning some recovery program i'll try them.
    and i have 2 western digital 1TB i think that's enough

7. JaBeR thread starter macrumors newbie

YOU ARE A GENIUS! xD it worked, i installed HFS Windows from paragon,

and after a restart the hard drive booted correctly, i'm gonna run a recovery now,

8. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Thanks. No genius, just been around awhile :) Glad it worked for you.

9. JaBeR thread starter macrumors newbie

After takling to a friend , he told me don't try to recover anything from a mac hfs format through windows, you might loose your photos for ever,

So i just bought a usb3.0 box for 3.5 inch drives and put the hdd in it , and i just pluged it to my macbook like a external hdd , it's fine now,

now it's been 3 days i'm trying to recover my photos , the process is need about 19 hours but after 15 hours or less the timecapsule disk will be ejected automaticly , And i see a error in the corner that said : "disc was not ejected properly"

should i try another program ? or another box drive ?

10. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Though I've not used it, the paragon driver has been around for a awhile and has a good reputation. I would think it should be fine using it in windows to recover the data from the disc.

What brand is the external drive box? What program are you using to recover the data?