Using TimeCapsule as wireless "extender" over ethernet

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by brucku, Nov 27, 2008.

1. brucku macrumors regular

I have a network that doesn't quite reach a room in my house very well. (wireless)

However, I have an ethernet connection in that room. I have been having trouble configuring this type of setup.

Netgear Router >Ethernet>TimeCapsule - and then time capsule creates its backup drive and a new wireless network in that room

When I go through the automatic assistant, I am not told that I can both create a wireless network AND be attached via ethernet as a backup drive for the network.

I connected over ethernet and set everything up to work fine, then i logged in - chose manual config and turned on the wireless network portion. This didn't work. I have turned wireless back off. (the wireless network worked, but it must have changed part of the configuration, because the Time capsule and its drive were no longer seen by devices on the existing router/network)

Is this supposed to be possible? In its current configuration, will the ethernet ports on the time capsule at least offer internet?

With a netgear router I could turn DHCP off and create a wireless network to do this, but it obviously would be duplicating quite a bit of the functionality (and cost) that I believe the time capsule already has.

2. coopermac macrumors member

I have a Netgear DG834GT modem/router and a Time Capsule set up as follows:

Netgear as primary router set up to provide all ip addresses and running a wireless network (g) for MacMini, Vista Laptop, XP Laptop, ATV, Wii and any other casual joiners. Ethernet feeds a desktop PC (Linux) and the TC.

The TC is set up in Bridge mode and runs an “n” wireless network for my MBP and allows ethernet connection for any other devices. The ethernet cable from the Netgear must go to the WAN input on the TC.

My printer is connected to the TC's USB port and Bonjour runs the connections for this. I also have a network HDD connected to the Netgear by ethernet. All Macs and PC's can see everything when it is connected to either the Netgear or TC.

This set up has worked well for some time, the only occasional problem is when Time Machine on the MBP accesses the TC, it definitely slows the “n” network down and sometimes fails on the backup. I do sometimes have to reboot the TC when this happens. The MacMini is a new addition so have not yet tried Time Machine on this.

I wanted to move the Netgear to another room so the ATV and MacMini were connected by ethernet and the TC was connected wirelessly to the Netgear but to date have not been able to get this to work, it would seem to be either a signal strength problem or the AEBS in the TC doesn't like connecting to a non apple router wirelessly. I am still experimenting with this but it's getting a little frustrating so will probably go back to having the TC connected via ethernet.

Hope this helps with your set up.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Also use the manual configuration.

Make sure you give the router a new static IP that isn't the same as the main router. Then turn off DHCP.