using timemachine as carbon copy cloner replacement?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by icedtea1996, Jul 4, 2008.

1. icedtea1996 macrumors newbie

hello!

im thinking of taking up time machine to do my backups. heres my situation though: usually i do every couple weeks (sure, not often enough) a diskimage of all my macpro files with carbon copy cloner on to an external hdd. this way i can take the external hdd any place with my macbook and have my macpro files available in addition to having a backup. if i take up using time machine, will i be able to extract individual files from the macpro time machine image when opening it up with my macbook (just like i can with the dmg i get from carbon copy cloner)?

(both machines run leopard)

hope that was clear, looking forward to any sort of feedback, cheers!

a

2. chscag macrumors 65816

Use both methods. Of course you'll need two external HDDs but at today's prices should be no problem. For the cost of a tank of gas for your SUV, you can get a nice 250 Gb USB external! :D

3. icedtea1996 thread starter macrumors newbie

well im looking to half the work not double it ;-) (and the costs)

so the question remains: can i access individual files in a time machine image when using another computer than the one the image belongs to?

4. icedtea1996 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. ddoonie macrumors regular

I have done it before, just copied the file over and worked on it... It works essentially the same as CCC, so just a matter of locating the file etc...

6. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Should work fine. I even used to be able to see the files in Windows but for some reason I cant anymore... the folder just shows up as only a few KB (I have no idea where the files go when using Windows). Ive always been able to view them in OSX though.

Really the only use I can see for stuff like Carbon is if you need a compressed disk image to burn to a DVD or keep as a single file. TM is faster since its uncompressed, and its kept in a folder which is more convenient to access.