Using too much data

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by seablue, May 17, 2013.

1. seablue macrumors regular

What could be using up too much data on my macbook pro? Something is off. I'm going over my data allowance every month and I'm not doing anything different. I did have an old ibook and upgraded to the macbook pro. I have not downloaded any third party programs that would be doing something. any suggestions?

2. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

I suggest checking your router settings and seeing what devices are connecting.

If it were me I'd suspect someone was stealing my internet.

3. seablue thread starter macrumors regular

Im using a password protected verizon connection and I live out in the middle of no where. No one can be piggy back onto my connection. No one around to do it.

4. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

What's your monthly bandwidth limit? How much are you going over?

5. seablue thread starter macrumors regular

my limit is 5GB and I'm going over by 2GB. So I'm averaging around 6.5 - 7GB a month. Whereas with my ibook, I was always under 5GB.
    So, it's not much but verizon charges 10.00 per 1GB over. Rip off but I'm limited on what I can get out here. It's either verizon, dial up or hughes net and I"ve heard hughes net is a nightmare

6. negativzero macrumors 6502

I suggest unplugging your Mac and close all the active apps, install iStat Pro then open up your apps again one by one and see which one is consuming all that data.

7. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

It could be anywhere. Notifications, iCloud? Are you streaming video at a higher bandwidth now?

What OS did you come from? OSX 10.8 is a whole new ballgame compared to what you used before.

8. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

That's a pretty low limit if you're doing ANY youtube or anything with a lot of gifs/big images.

I have 300GB and I went over this month... you should consider a slight upgrade for this day and age!

9. seablue thread starter macrumors regular

I shut down pretty much everything I can find on here. I'm not real computer savy. I logged OUT of iCloud and I'm trying to find out how to stop notifications.... I don't stream any videos or anything like that.
    It came with 10.8.2 I don't remember what the ibook was running on. I'd have to check - I'm not at home right now. Using free wifi at the library :)

----------

300 GB - I'd KILL for that!!! The best I can get is 10GB for 80.00. Then I think it's 120.00 for 90 or 100 GB and that is just too steep.

----------

how do you stop the notifications? I have the app store application that always lets me know what can be updated and I'm trying to figure out how to basically disable that. I'd rather just manually go and see what can be updated.

10. seablue thread starter macrumors regular

downloaded istat pro and says it went onto dashboard. Not there but says it's installed. So where would I find this thing??

11. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Four finger swipe to the right, go to the window with the calculator and stuff. Or click the forth from the left key at the top of the keyboard and click the "Desktop" window at the very top.

The 300GB is only $45, kinda cool.

12. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

AT&T unlimited, uncapped for me at $45.

This is an old DSL plan I've had for over 10 years. It's not the fastest but it's cheap.

13. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Yeah unfortunately to go to an unlimited plan I would lose my bundle discount for other stuff.

The speed is 75 down/50 up however. Can't complain.

14. seablue, May 18, 2013
    Last edited: May 18, 2013

seablue thread starter macrumors regular

45.00 a month -- holy cow!!!! I had that back where I lived before and I sure do miss it!!

15. seablue thread starter macrumors regular

I have activity monitor and I can't make heads or tails out of it as far as data usage goes...
    It gives real memory, % cpu, PID. I have NO idea what any of that means as far as data. And I'm looking on the network page of this app.
    Still using a ton of data now when I wasn't before the macbook pro.
    For example with Safari internet plug in flash player it says 46.1MB Finder: 37.1MB

16. negativzero macrumors 6502

I think for starters, you might want to cut down on your internet usage until you get a plan with more data. 5GB is pretty little to be fair.

Sucks to be in your situation, but I think moving from an 7 year old iBook to a MacBook Pro you would be using the computer more because its just faster and modern computers are just data guzzlers.

17. seablue thread starter macrumors regular

you're probably right :( the most I can get is 10GB but that should help if I do some stuff with free wifi at work. I love where I live but internet really sucks here.

18. snaky69 macrumors 603

This is the panel you want to be looking at, specifically the in and out total shown in parentheses. What you were looking at had nothing to do with the internet, you were looking at RAM consumption and processor usage.

They will tell you how much data was passed through your internet/network connection since the last time you rebooted.

I suggest you reboot the computer, with the "Reopen Windows when logging back in" option unchecked.

Once the computer has booted check to see if you have any network activity. This'll be shown by a speed in kb/s on the in and out. A spike once in a while is normal, the computer is communicating to the modem to insure it remains connected.

If you see a steady stream of data as you start opening your usual apps back up, then you'll find the culprit.

Attached Files:

19. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

1) New OS updates are larger?
    Go into System Preferences / Software Update
    and turn off "download updates automatically"

2) Look for other options? 5GB data allowance is not normal for U.S.

20. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

I'm guessing this is over cellular, correct?

Either way, how much data were you using before? What exactly are you using Internet for?
    Stuff like YouTube and Netflix could be sending you better versions since your Mac can handle them now.