Using Tor/Privoxy...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by powz, Feb 7, 2008.

1. powz macrumors regular

I installed the Tor/Privoxy/Vidalia bundle from http://www.torproject.org/ However, I get a "503" error whenever I try to browse with Tor/Privoxy on in Firefox. Does anyone know how I can fix this error?

2. starkis macrumors newbie

I have the same problem on Mac OS X 10.4.5 and Firefox 3.0.1 (with Torbutton). Installed fine but I always get a 503 error when trying to go to any webpage. Anyone?

3. TomThumbIMP macrumors newbie

Same here, and to be quiet honest I was not sure 100% that everything was installed and configured properly.
    Torbutton Firefox... as I started reading the installation instruction and manuals Tor has on line, i got more and more confused as to what am I suppose to do. Also, slower connection or no connection at all was another problem, not sure if it is Mac users problem or overall both Microsoft users and Apple.

4. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

starkis: Upgrade to 10.4.11 and give it a go.
    OP: What version of OS X are you using?

Is your firewall allowing Vidalia to connect? Is Torbutton set up correctly and active? Take a look through Tor's settings. Everything set up right?

5. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

Is the proxy set up correctly?

localhost:8118

6. starkis macrumors newbie

Problem solved

Hi

Sometime solutions are embarrassing for one self but I'd like to share this one as there might be others with the same problem. The problem that I had was in fact that Tor had not built a complete circuit and it was still trying even after I left it running for a long while. Eventually it did gather enough information to build a circuit and would let me connect. So this was a bit a newb problem, atleast this problem that I had as I could have seen this in the logs if I had looked more carefully, but then again I am a newb! Although now a bit less so as while trying to solve the problem I actually read through a lot of the documentation for Tor.

So for anyone to rule out the same cause for the problem as I had: check the Vidalia client logs for the messages, in my case I saw connection attempts ("I learned some more directory information, but not enough to build a circuit: We have no network-status consensus") in that log but when I checked my Tor process everything seemed ok. Only after restarting the Tor process did I see the same connection attempt messages, I left it running and after about an hour it was able to build a loop and let me connect. While Tor is gathering info it will print out "I learned some more directory information, but not enough to build a circuit", I just had to keep waiting!

Why it took that long (1 hour) I don't know, I looked into the error messages but could not found anything significant on the Internet.

Hope this helps someone.