Using Transmission in college

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by brydy23, Sep 13, 2007.

1. brydy23 macrumors newbie

Hi, I've been a freshman at college for about 3 weeks and i've tried to use transmission to download a cd, but apparently my school's IT has blocked the ports needed to download the files. What can I do to get around whatever is blocking the ports? I've already tryed changing the ports and forwarding it but no ports are open. Any suggestions? Thanks

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Contact your school's IT and ask them. I'm sure they'll be happy to help :)

3. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

They've blocked them for a good reason. You're not supposed to be using Bittorent in college, and from what you've said about using it to download a CD, sounds like you're using it for illegal downloads although I may be wrong.

I wouldn't bother asking the I.T support, they're not going to open ports for you :p

Every educational network I've come across blocks the ports for Bittorrentn and P2P, it's standard procedure. They don't want illegal downloads traced back to them.

4. Southern macrumors regular

Southern

Thank you, you said everything I wanted to say in one helpful post.

Here's the solution:

Get a laptop and sit outside a Starbucks or something that has open Wi-Fi networks and use their connection. When I was at college, there was a pub with free network access there, although it was a poor AOL connection. But nevertheless, if I wanted to go torrent a free music archive or user-made movie from an online community meet, I always used to go there in my lunch break, have lunch and a beer and download it via bittorrent.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

If you don't have control over the ports then you're wanged.

You can try running the incoming port over another one though.

6. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Generally the college would have all the ports covered, and if they didn't, they'd soon notice the network being used for torrenting and close the port.

They monitor the network traffic, you'd get caught even if you did circumvent the blocked ports. ;)

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've known some that have chat client ports open.

8. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Hmm yeah, but if you used those chat client ports for bittorrent, they'd soon notice wouldn't they? Then those chat client ports wouldn't be open, and you'd be out of a chat client as well as bittorrent.

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I understand that the network would be monitored. Still, chat clients can be used to move large files as well.

10. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Good point. But what's sent via chat clients isn't generally traceable I thought? I think I may be losing the plot a little bit.

To the OP, the gist of it is we can't really help you bypass your college's network security, nor can we advise you on how to if you intend to do it for illegal downloading. :)

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Well encrypting the chat and then sending a lot of data would be a bit obvious. :rolleyes:

12. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

That screams effort to me. I'd probably just wait until I got home to download whatever it is I wanted to download. The time it takes to get it working in college, I'd be home already. Lazy's man's way! ;)

13. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Go to a college with open ports?

14. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Colleges don't block ports, that's useless. They block TRAFFIC, by using packet shaping devices for all traffic to the 'Net. Sometimes using a BT client like Azureus with encryption forced on can get around this, sometimes not. It depends on the tracker, the other peers on the torrent, and the level of packet inspection by the college.

15. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Oo good idea! Although I would have to laugh if someone did move college for something like that. :D

Mind you, having been in university accommodation for the last year, I haven't been able to download via bittorrent or anything like that, and as a result I've found plenty of other ways of obtaining what I would normally have obtained via those means.

16. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Luckily mine doesn't shape traffic. Still I wouldn't try to use BitTorrent beyond Linux images here as it is. I have a job to keep.

12:1 ratios on Ubuntu alphas make me happy. :D

17. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I envy you, I'd love if I could use bittorrent in university. I just like to have Transmission open. I like seeing the bar fill. :eek: