using transmission\torrent to send files

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kevindosi, Jan 5, 2010.

1. kevindosi macrumors regular

i have about 6gb of photos from a recent family vacation that i want to send to my brother, and i figured that a torrent would be the best way to avoid any hiccups in the file transfer. i'll probably also send it to other family members later and we can both seed.
    so, i created a torrent for all the pictures and used openbittorrent as the tracker because i didn't want all my family photos to be indexed onto some tracker. it was moving along fine, but i had to leave town in the middle of the transfer. no worries, i thought, it'll start right back up next time i open my computer. well, i'm at home now and have continued seeding to no avail. on his computer, it says there's one seeder he's not connected to. on my computer, it says there are no leechers. i seed other things here, so i'm not sure what the problem is. any ideas?

2. alienapp macrumors member

well i have no idea as to why tramission is not seeding. But why send your pictures thru a torrent...

You can try turning on file sharing instead on your mac. I think that, that would be a better solution to your problem.

Here's an article I've found on apple on how to turn on file sharing, configure it, and protocols you should use.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1549

3. robj macrumors regular

Have you consider the option of using dropbox or similar software?

I'm using it to share files between computers and it works great.

It works even through firewalled networks.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

5. kevindosi thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the tip, but isn't that just for computers on the same network? we're in different countries, which is why i wanted to use a torrent.

6. robj macrumors regular

I didn't figure the total size of the transfer. :eek:

It would take very long, but using different method wouldn't take much less, you're uploading 6GB anyway

7. HyperX13 macrumors 6502

Are your ports mapped correctly for the outbound? Did your IP address change after coming back? You may have to re-create the torrent and resend it. It should be smart enough to keep what he downloaded and start again.

8. alienapp macrumors member

This is not true. You should be able to access the shared files from anywhere around the world. If the person connecting to your computer is using a mac you just need to give the other person the afp:// address. If its a window machine than change the afp part to smb

9. HyperX13 macrumors 6502

But then he has to mess with port forwarding on his router too. Torrent is easiest way I think. Plus, torrent picks up where left off unless IP changes.

Another option for the OP is to use pando. It uses torrent tech but is seamless. You can send in 1 gig chunks for free or ger premium account and send entire 6 gigs.

10. alienapp macrumors member

Honestly this is the first time i've heard about pando. But it seems good and might work.

11. kevindosi thread starter macrumors regular

i've tried recreating the torrent several times to no avail. transmission says my port isn't open, but i'm still able to seed other files fine. i'll give pando a shot, but with every click on pando.com i was led to partypoker.com. not a good sign.

12. HyperX13 macrumors 6502

I have been using pando for years. Not sure why the party poker.