Using TV as another monitor....

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by vortiz, Jun 16, 2009.

1. vortiz macrumors newbie

Hello,

I am wondering if you can use a Tv without s-video input as another monitor. What I'm wanting to do is see if i can transmit video to my tv from my laptop like i do with an ipod? Just by using an RCA cable with one end haviing a headphone end and the other end having a red,white, and yellow end? Is this possible in anyway?

2. DavieBoy macrumors 6502

DavieBoy

you have to buy the video adapter from apple. They look horrible though. It is okay for watching hulu i guess. It works awesome if you have a new TV with either hdmi or dvi input.

3. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

It depends on what model you have. If you have a Unibody, you cannot output to S-video or RCA out without jumping through some hoops, see here: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=8375980
    If you have an iBook or a plastic macbook, you'll need to purchase the appropriate adapter.

4. bhadoc macrumors newbie

How do you use the HDMI input? I have looked for a Mini-->DVi but can't find a DVI-->HDMI.

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

You can buy DVI-->HDMI at many electronic stores. Heck, Apple sells a belkin cable in store just for that.

You can also goto www.monoprice.com and get a great cable on the cheap. DVI-D only though for the MDP-->DVI adapter.

6. bhadoc macrumors newbie

7. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

For who?

With Samsung LCD TV's at least, there's an issue with grounds with the MDP-->VGA adapter. Also, many TV's limit the VGA in to 1366x768, I know my 1080p Samsung does. (Moot point seeing how the adapter doesn't work, but that's the spec)

8. vortiz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks peeps

thanks thats wat i figured i was just wondering if there was a way to do it the same way i do with my ipod

9. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Actually, the Clamshell G3 iBook used a similar plug setup as the iPod, but that's the only example I can think of.

10. bhadoc macrumors newbie

I have a viewsonic monitor with only VGA and HDMI. Sadly, the display is only 16:10. I guess I'll have to stick with VGA! What keyboard/mouse setup are you guys using?