Resolved Using two computers to develop?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by ArtOfWarfare, Dec 12, 2011.

1. ArtOfWarfare, Dec 12, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2011

ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

I go back and forth between an iMac and a MacBook Air.

I have been transferring my entire project between computers every time I want to switch which one I'm developing from.

Just one thing... I can only test on my iPhone when it's hooked up to my iMac and I can only upload to iTunes Connect from my iMac.

What would I have to do to allow my MacBook Air to also test on the same iPhone and to upload to the same iTunes Connect account?

2. firewood macrumors 604

Make sure to copy your Certificates and private keys in .p12 format from the working Mac to your Keychain on the other Mac. Also the WWDR certificate and all your app provisions.

I use an SVN source code repository, and just check-in projects on one Mac, and check out on the other.

3. jonnymo5 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Check out github. Works great for me.

4. admanimal macrumors 68040

I usually just stick the project in my Dropbox until it's at a point where I'm ready to put it in my github repository.

5. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

I'm a big SVN fan, i just check in at home, to my iMac, to my mac, to laptop. Get at a client, and sometimes get a seperate pc there, need a piece of code, just checkout of my SVN.
    but Github/Dropbox are other good alternatives. Just sometimes dropbox download/upload is sloooow.

6. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

You should definitely try using a source versioning system like SVN or Git. In later stages, keeping your code in a source versioning system will save your work. Not only will yu be able to rollback to have your projects everywhere, you will also be able to roll back to other versions of your projects.

It's worth a try, and there are services that are free. I use SVN/Assebmbla.

7. Sykte macrumors regular

Already mentioned you will need to copy your certs to your mba. I use a NAS with gitscm at home that I push my projects to, then pull them to my laptop when I need them on the go. Learning git is well worth it even if it's only locally.

8. ArtOfWarfare thread starter macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Thanks guys!

I exported a bunch of keys + 2 certificates from Keychain Access on my iMac and then imported them on my MBA. I also exported my provisioning profiles from Xcode on my iMac and then imported them on my MBA. Had my MBA test a few apps on my iPhone 3GS, and it seems to all be working.

So, again, thanks!

(Regarding the ideas of GIT and the like... I think it's beyond me right now... I don't really have enough free time right now to figure it right now, either, I don't think...)

9. Sykte macrumors regular

Nothing to really figure out. You don't have a remote server (unless you use github) to place the repository on so nothing to worry about there. You won't really be running it from multiple locations so that simplifies it even further.

A local repository is well worth it. All you need to do is hit commit in Xcode, type in a description of the changes you made and bam your done. Something as simple as that and your done. Now you can delete code all day long and not lose a single thing.

If you want to try it and your project doesn't already have a git repository setup. Open up terminal, navigate into the root of your project directory, type in git init. Now open Xcode, Go to File, Source Control, Commit, for a description type "Initial Commit". Now after any changes run a commit and type in the description.

That's it.

You may also setup a git repository in Xcode on an existing project but I find it easier to use the terminal.

10. balamw, Dec 16, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2011

balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Setting up an efficient scalable workflow up front is one of those things that pays dividends in spades. The later you do it, the harder it will be. If you plan to continue developing on your two boxes bite the bullet and get it done.

There are plenty of SVN or Git providers out there besides github. e.g. http://beanstalkapp.com

EDIT: I would just like to clarify that I am a satisfied customer of Beanstalk as a hosted SVN service. I have used a paid account for work and a free ("trial") account for my personal use. The web interface is great. However I have not tried it with Xcode 4 or Git.

B