Using U.S. Iphone 3G in Philippines?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by speekez, Aug 11, 2009.

1. speekez macrumors 6502

Hello

My wife is traveling to the Philippines. She is wondering:

a) will her iphone 3G from the U.S. work there for phone calls and internet?

b) won't this be considering roaming and quite expensive?

if she wants to use it just for internet and not phone calls, can she set the phone to only access free wifi spots and not use the network?

Any input appreciated

2. Skystar macrumors 6502

It will work, but you may want to contact AT&T to put some kind of international rate plan in effect before she leaves. Just having your iPhone on can rack up data charges (if you have it set to push email etc.).

The best thing to do, if you know how to do it, is Jailbreak and Unlock, so she can buy a cheap pre-paid sim card in the Philippines. There are also people there who can do it for her, probably for a small fee. I did this for my sister who just got back from the Philippines, she told me it worked fine.

3. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

If you have data roaming off then it will only use wifi for data. And yes roaming data charges are very expensive.

4. wr1020 macrumors regular

Data roaming is very expensive, my parents went on a cruise to Alaska and were gone for a week, and they were charged about $80 worth of roaming and they barely used there phones. This was on verizon but i'm sure AT&T will be the same or similar.

5. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Responses stated above, have a happy mabuhay trip!