Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

princealfie

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
Salt Lake City UT
I am rather impressed by using Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty on a lot of my Macs. Granted it may not be as user friendly as Tiger but it runs a little bit snappier using the same specs. I even had 7.04 installed on my Tangerine iBook 300mhz and it wasn't bad at all.

Granted, there are quite of apps with Mac OS X and Ubuntu. Now that Ubuntu Studio is released perhaps we have something comparable to Final Cut Express which is open source.

Plus Ubuntu has very few problems with the drivers on the Macs as compared to the PCs I tried to install on (Alienware was a nightmare to deal with). Thus Macs are good for running Ubuntu, Tiger and Windows Vista! :D

Honestly, Vista is out the door and I am preferring Ubuntu much more than the M$ software.

Any other Ubuntu/Mac OS X users here? :D

bokdol

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
VA
i am loving ubuntu. 7.04 runs real nice on this old pentium 1.6 notebook i am using. it's great. but i did not know ubuntu studio came out. thats great. thanks for the info.

Since '76

macrumors member
May 3, 2007
I noticed the other day that Dell is going to be shipping some laptop and desktop models with Ubuntu preinstalled and fully supported:
link 1
link 2
I could be very interested if the price is right

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I used Kubuntu, a similar project, on my Windows PC (overwriting the Windows installation). It works well enough, but I don't really use it all that much. The only reason I used Kubuntu instead of Ubuntu is because I was introduced to Linux with Knoppix, which uses KDE. I'm a total newbie to GNOME. I tried to install Kubuntu under Parallels on my MBP, but it stalled and wouldn't run for some strange reason, so I'm switching to Fedora 7 as soon as it's released (it's due about 2 weeks from now, and Parallels supports Fedora directly).

iJawn108

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2006
I am a casual ubuntu fan, i rarely use it but sometimes.

PC-BSD is pretty nice also.

sishaw

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2005
I've been toying around with the idea of Ununtu on my MacBook, but it seems a little complicated, I think I need to find a lot of drivers and such, anyone want to help?

There is an extremely helpful Ubuntu users forum, http://ubuntuforums.org/, and a script called Automatix that will solve most of the post installation "tweaks".

mattsajay

macrumors member
May 24, 2007
I am rather impressed by using Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty on a lot of my Macs. Granted it may not be as user friendly as Tiger but it runs a little bit snappier using the same specs. I even had 7.04 installed on my Tangerine iBook 300mhz and it wasn't bad at all.

Granted, there are quite of apps with Mac OS X and Ubuntu. Now that Ubuntu Studio is released perhaps we have something comparable to Final Cut Express which is open source.

Plus Ubuntu has very few problems with the drivers on the Macs as compared to the PCs I tried to install on (Alienware was a nightmare to deal with). Thus Macs are good for running Ubuntu, Tiger and Windows Vista! :D

Honestly, Vista is out the door and I am preferring Ubuntu much more than the M$ software.

Any other Ubuntu/Mac OS X users here? :D

I plan to partition my hard disc of the MBP or MB, whichever I buy in the next couple of days to make a dual boot tiger/ubuntu machine.
any pointers as to how to partition the disk with the mac os that comes installed in the machine.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Ubuntu (and any other Linux) is cool at first but the coolness quickly wears off once you realize you have to download and install extra software just to do about anything, and you constantly have to tap into the online communities to figure even the simplest tasks out. Lots and lots of toil and effort on your part just getting the damn system to do anything productive.

sishaw

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2005
Ubuntu is quite a nicely packaged user-friendly form of Linux. It's not as slick as OS X, but then, what is? I found it good for websurfing, writing, music (Ogg Vorbis encoding of my own CDs), photo editing (once you get used to the GIMP, which has a different interface than Photoshop). I found it much less good for anything video, and I believe that has to do with copyrights.

To me, it all boils down to what you want to do with the computer. One thing about Ubuntu, and much more so other distros, is that if you don't want to use it as it comes out of the box, you have to learn how to use the command line and write some simple scripts. Once you do, it's very rewarding, if a bit arcane for us non-IT professionals. I would say it requires an interest or at least a willingness to figure things out; it's not the sort of operating system that you can just ignore.

I never got to the point where I could give up my Windows partition (this was on an old Windows computer I used to own) because there was always SOMETHING I had to have windows for, so I dual booted. One problem I ran into is that if I spent too much time in my Windows partition, I would start to forget whatever Linux tricks I'd learned.

If you like the ease of use of OS X, Ubuntu is probably the closest Linux you'll find. It's certainly worth playing with using the Live CD, if only to get a feel for what's possible outside of the commercial software box.

sishaw

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2005
Ubuntu (and any other Linux) is cool at first but the coolness quickly wears off once you realize you have to download and install extra software just to do about anything, and you constantly have to tap into the online communities to figure even the simplest tasks out. Lots and lots of toil and effort on your part just getting the damn system to do anything productive.

Ubuntu now comes packages with quite a bit of software, and Automatix will install most of the usual drivers and extras you need, so I'm not sure this is still correct.

What does tend to happen is, you want to find out what ELSE Linux can do, and then you're in trouble or on a fascinating journey, depending on your POV.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Shame I cant get it to work on my Macbook Pro or MacPro :( Both 7.04 Ubuntu & Kubuntu just hang and never boot up... :(

FreakinSyco

macrumors regular
May 3, 2007
Shame I cant get it to work on my Macbook Pro or MacPro :( Both 7.04 Ubuntu & Kubuntu just hang and never boot up... :(

That sucks. Im dual booting Ubuntu and OSX (used bootcamp to do the partitioning). I need to use Ubuntu quite a bit for school so it was a neccesity for me to have them both. I mainly stick to OSX for computing at home... unless I just feel like messing around with things.. then its Ubuntu.

The 7.04 DVD image booted and installed flawlessly for me. Heres the tutorial I used for a reference to get everything up and going:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBook

sishaw

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2005

Go on the user forum. It may be a simple matter. I recall that there's a way to start up in verbose mode so you can see what is making it hang, then you should be able to find the solution.

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
Kind of a related issues. I downloaded Ubuntu Studio and tried to burn the ISO using Toast 8. However, toast tries to burn the ISO as CD-ROM XA format(or file not really sure). So then I thought maybe I can burn it on my PC using Nero, it was working until it half way done and fails. So any ideas how I can get to burn with toast? Thank you.

kalisphoenix

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
I used to use Gentoo religiously until I got my first iBook. I still use it, but only on my server (old PMacG4). OS X's too bloated for an old budget server. Gentoo's perfect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.