Using UK iBook in USA

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by -i2i-, Oct 6, 2005.

  1. -i2i- macrumors newbie

    Sep 4, 2004
    I'm going on holiday to Florida next week and plan on taking my iBook with my to catch-up on a bit of work in the evenings or watch some DVDs. Problem is that I don't know what type of adaptor I need. I don't really want to fork out for the Apple kit and wondered if anyone knew whether I'd be able to get away with just an adaptor ( or whether I'd need a step-up converter. My iBook G4 power adaptor says 65W on it but I saw this on eBay: but it only goes up to 45W.

    What wattage is the Amercian power adaptor and does anyone have any experience of what I need? The last thing I want to do is blow up my iBook on holiday!
  2. jaseone macrumors 65816


    Nov 7, 2004
    Houston, USA
    You just need a plug adaptor, the Apple kit just contains a set of overpriced plug adaptors you don't need to do any converting of power at all, I'm typing this on an Aussie Powerbook in Houston so I know it works. :)
  3. mfacey macrumors 65816


    Feb 1, 2004
    Afaik you should have one of those apple power "bricks" with your ibook. A white one. These are universal, ie. they work on voltages from 110-240V.
    So it shouldn't be a problem. All you need is a plug adapter to convert your UK plug to a US one. You can buy those for less than 10 pounds at the airport.

    Edit: beaten too it. Gotta start typing faster! :rolleyes:
  4. California macrumors 68040


    Aug 21, 2004
    What about US iBook to UK?

    Friend of mine going to Oxford with 1.2ghz 12" iBook US --

    so she just needs an adapter to make it work with UK outlets?
  5. dcv macrumors G3

    May 24, 2005
    Yes just plug a 3-pin UK adapter onto your existing 2-pin one, or change the actual plug part of your white Apple power adapter if you can get hold of a spare from someone in the UK.
  6. California macrumors 68040


    Aug 21, 2004
    Thanks -- will do.
  7. Kalinatek macrumors regular

    Aug 29, 2005
    i got my iMac and the HK Soundsticks 2 from Florida , and after reading the manual it says on both of them that they have universal voltage(110-240v) so i just plugged them directly when i went back to Q8 (240v) and they work fine without any extra adapters or cables.

  8. Abstract macrumors Penryn


    Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Um.....yeah, it works the other way around too, believe it or not! :eek:
  9. tdhurst macrumors 601


    Dec 27, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Very cool...

    One of the coolest things about Apple laptops is that the only difference between countries is the little plug that attaches to the power adapter and possibly the keyboard. Buy a cheap adapter and have no worries!

    However, do NOT (and I repeat DO NOT) try this with a desktop. While the power adapters USED to be universal, they are not any more. These will require a converter...

Share This Page