Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jon169

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
Hi, i have used an iphone in USA before but this is something that has been bugging me for a while:

Every year, i spend about a month in California and obviously, using my UK iPhone abroad comes with various limitations, cant use 3G for fear of running up crazy bill prices, etc etc. The last two years I went iv had to carefully look after when i use my data and hit most of the wifi zones to use data but what i want is to freely use my phone as I would in UK (oh and keeping my phone number obviously)

So basically, what is the ultimate best way of being able to use my phone in USA the same as I do back home?

(One idea I had was unlocking my phone then signing up for one of the AT&T pay and go 30 day plans or something similar to that...)

thanks guys

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
If you don't want to change SIMs (i.e. change phone numbers), you could turn off cellular data - and rent a MiFi hotspot for the month you are in the US. From your phone's perspective, it'd behave as though you were on WiFi at all times, all data would flow through the hotspot. You'd still pay roaming rate for calls, but if you don't want to change phone numbers I think that's unavoidable.

Tons of places/prices for renting, google "Rent Hotspot" or "Rent Mifi".

raymanster

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
UK
I was in California last June, like you mentioned I got a AT&T sim with data and some minutes, I think it was something like $40 or $50. I then had to change the APN settings on my already unlocked iPhone 3GS. I used this very useful website for the APN settings:

http://www.unlockit.co.nz/unlockit/

Worked really well, I think this is your best bet. By the way the AT&T salesperson might warn you that the SIM may not work with your iPhone and blah blah blah but it does they don't know what they're talking about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.