Using universal dock without dock-adapters?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Evangelion, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Evangelion macrumors 68040

Would it be possible to use universal dock without the dock-adapters? The reason I'm asking is that sometime in the future I will be getting an iPod touch and giving my Mini to the Mrs. And we would be using an universal dock to sync and charge. It just seems more elegant than using cables, and we could charge the device even when the laptop is not present. But would we really need to mess around with those dock-adapters? Would it work without those adapters as well?

2. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

I don't have the universal dock, so I can't be sure. But we do have a Logitech m50 speaker that is designed for the iPod (I think 4G+) and comes with other adapters.

We use it for my wife's mini with the included adapter. The mini will fit without the adapter, but the connection is very flimsy. The mini is not supported at all and I would think that there is a great deal of stress put onto the dock connector.

I think over time, the stress and strain on the dock connection would not be good for either the iPod or the Dock.

ft

3. grockk macrumors 6502

grockk

yes. you can use the dock without adapter. It looks a bit funny without one but if you use the 4G or other large adapter, you can fit all the other ipods in there.