Using unlocked iPhone 4 in Europe w/apps from another phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bertsirkin, Jul 2, 2011.

1. bertsirkin macrumors newbie

I love the iPhone - I hate Apple Support and iTunes!

Now that I've ranted, here's my dilemma. I have a Verizon iPhone 4 with a lot of apps. I am considering buying the unlocked GSM iPhone 4 from Apple. I will be traveling to the UK and Paris next month and Italy later. I want to be able to use all my apps in the UK and France.

I have my current iPhone 4 linked to iTunes thru a desktop computer in my home. I will be traveling with a laptop that does have iTunes on it, and I have already transferred the apps from my Verizon phone to iTunes on the laptop.

The Apple web site indicates I'll need a French iTunes account and an Orange SIM card - I can't get to the UK info, but I'm assuming I'll need a UK iTunes account as well.

Here's my questions:

1) What will the complications (if any) be of having 3-iTunes accounts (US, UK and French) and can they be linked?
    2) Will the apps from my Verizon phone be available to me on the unlocked iPhone when I sync with a single laptop computer?
    FWIW, Apple pre-sales support had no clue, and Apple tech support didn't want to talk to me because my current iPhone is out of warranty. The Apple support web site constantly hangs up my computers (3-different computers)!

TIA,
    Bert

2. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

That shouldn't be the case.

If you have an unlocked phone, it should accept any SIM that you put into it.

The requirement for a local iTunes account only applies when you are setting up a contract in France or whatever country through iTunes.

3. bertsirkin thread starter macrumors newbie

I will be getting a SIM in France along with a local "pay as you go" plan. Are you saying that I can still use my US iTunes account when in France?

thanks!
    bert

4. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Yes.