Using unlocked iPhone legal issues

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by creekbat, Jul 19, 2008.

1. creekbat macrumors newbie

I am sure this must have been discussed in the past but I have not been able to find out exact information about legal complications that one may end up into if someone is using an unlocked iPhone with att with current att service. Would I be in any legal trouble if I use unlocked iPhone with existing att service. I do not have any contract with att now and also do not want edge or new contract thus wondering if I can use unlocked iPhone. Will att create any problem if I use the unlocked iPhone? I would appreciate if you could help me with this.

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Legal trouble? Nah. But, I'm pretty sure that you will be charged hefty amounts of money from AT&T if you end up unlocking you phone, just because that means you have to 1. Cancel your contract (pay ETF) 2. Not return your iPhone and pay ***** loads of money for not doing so. Then you have to figure out how to actually unlock it. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

3. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

I have an iPhone unlocked and I use it on ATT without an iPhone plan. They yanked my FAN discount, but other then that there is nothing they can do.

4. theevilone macrumors member

no it's ok, not illegal, it's my phone I will do what I want with it. just remember to restore before upgrading firmware and updates.

you should jailbeak also so you can put a lot of cool things on it.

I'm on tmo with mine.

5. bubbagumpshrimp macrumors 6502

can u explain the whole restore before upgrade bit? I'm thinking about jb my phone in the near future for the first time.

6. theevilone macrumors member

if you have not jb and unlocked the v1 phone you do not have to restore.

upgrade to 2.0 and then jb and unlock, with pwnage so far that's the only one out.

when you jb your phone you risk bricking it when you update it. so if you restore it, then itunes thinks it is a stock phone and do the update. same thing if you need to take it in to apple to be fixed or replaced.

if you do not upgrade to 2.0 you can jb and unlock with iLiberty+.

google iphone forums and read the forums about it.

planet-iphones.com is the best, they have all the information.