Using unlocked iphone with AT&T.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tacos!, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Tacos! macrumors member

Hello,
    I was wondering if it is possible to get an Iphone, unlock it, and then use it on the AT&T network with my $40.00 a month plan ( I would switch sims from my old phone) . I would not use the internet or other things that I would need to pay $60.00 for.

Thanks,
    Tacos!

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Yes, but seriously, why? If you are not going to use the internet, get a iPod Touch. The iPhone is suppossed to be the whole package, you don't want part of that package, get something without that feature.

TEG

3. Tacos! thread starter macrumors member

Well, I'm just wondering if it is possible...

How much is the bill including taxes and all that if you have the smallest plan for the iphone?

4. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

if you are already an at&t subscriber, i believe you only pay an additional $20 a month

5. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

It's not really the worst idea I ever heard of. Then they could even add the Mediaworks 200 plan that is about equal to the iphone plan and probably use the net, see if they like it, cancel if they wanted.

6. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

I thought there were some people out there that were crazy enough to do this- but got caught by At&T as they can tell if you have an iPhone by the ESN and shut the phones off.

7. aneftp macrumors 68040

The 3 reasons people with ATT want to hack/unlock the iPhone
    1. They do not want to extend their contract with ATT
    2. They still want to keep their corp. discounts (essential if they are on an individual line and can't use the 2nd iPhone line trick to keep their primary line discount)
    3. Probably the OP's reason. He's cheap/wants to save money/around free WiFi most of the time, just wants to you the iPhone's as a phone and use free internet via WiFi most of the time.

If number 3 is the primary reason, becareful, and block all data from your line because the iPhone will connect automatically to the internet (this is especially true if you have yahoo email, where emails are automatically pushed to your account and you do not have a choice to disable it).

8. Knolly macrumors 6502a

If the person has AT&T and they don't want to use data wouldn't it make more sense to get an iPhone without a data plan than a Touch? It's one less gadget in your pocket.

9. Ilovemyipod macrumors regular

Ilovemyipod

WELL $40 plus $20 is 60 and he doesn't want to pay 60 only 40

10. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

i was thinking the same thing... if anything, it'd be better for them to get an iphone than an ipod touch because, in the OPs case, the iphone and touch would both do the exact same thing, except the iphone has the phone part.

11. aneftp macrumors 68040

Yes and no. If he happens to live in the Northeast and has the chance to get one of those $250 refubished 8GB iphones.....I'd tell him to go for the refurbished iPhone instead of the ipod touch because you can always use the music/internet features of an iPhone, along with using it as a phone but you can never make a iPod Touch into a phone.

Anyways, as crappy as the single speaker is on the iPhone, it has a speaker while the iPod Touch is without one.

12. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

So I live in the NE and want an iPhone. I don't have great service here in SW New Hampshire.

So are you saying I can buy an iPhone and pay a normal ATT phone line fee without the data part?

I dont' even think my data coverage will be adequate to use much.