Using Upgrade On A Different Contract? (ATT)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nikefn2, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Nikefn2 macrumors regular

So, I'm on a solo contact while my mom is on a mobile-share contract. One of my mother's line's is due for an upgrade but she care about using it.

My question is: Can I use my mother's upgrade and simply put my sim card in the iPhone 6 once it arrives even though I am on a different contact?

I have seen plenty of times where people have used someone else's upgrade but they've all been on the same line. Has anyone done this before?

2. dragonjinse macrumors 6502

I did it once..
    If you and your mom are in the same family plan, then you can do it.

2 years ago, I wanted to upgrade my 4s to 5, but I just got my 4s less than a year. My mom's line was able to upgrade. Therefore, I used my mom's line to get iPhone 5 for my number and sold my 4S on ebay.

Hope this help

3. Nikefn2 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm on a completely different contract. Thanks anyway!

4. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Your Mom can do the upgrade and put the phone in the drawer. The monthly charge is for the phone, but the contract is really for the line.

People do this all the time.

5. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

The contract doesn't matter at all. I traded a 16GB black for a 64GB silver with someone I didn't even know. For safety I did it at the AT&T store so the account could be notated, etc.

6. Nikefn2 thread starter macrumors regular

So just to be clear, my mom could "upgrade" to the 6 and I can simply put my SIM into the 6 and everything can go on as normal?

My biggest concern was there we're on 2 different contacts so I didn't want her SIM to be deactivated or anything once the new phone arrived.

7. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

I've always had to do cross upgrades in-store because of different SIM card sizes. Assuming the iPhone 6 still uses a Nano SIM, I reckon you can just insert your current Nano SIM on the new iPhone. No need to activate the SIM that it came with.

8. Nikefn2 thread starter macrumors regular

I was thinking of the in-store route, also. As you mentioned, the nano SIM from the 5S to the 6 should do the trick, though.