Using US iPhone in UK

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by TwoSocEmBoppers, May 30, 2010.

1. Joined:
    May 30, 2010
    Hello...I am new and have searched the forums and cannot find an answer to my question.

I have a 8GB iPhone 3G on a family plan on AT&T. I am going to the UK from mid-June to mid-August and was wondering what is the best way to use my iPhone over there. I know I can add international minutes to my AT&T plan but data will not be covered, which can get expensive. Also, how does international texting work? I would like to text my family/friends when I am over there and was wondering what would be the best option.

Is it possible to unlock the iPhone using a SIM card switch method and put a Pay-as-you-go UK sim card in it or is adding international data from AT&T (if such a thing even exists) cheaper for just two months?

Thanks for the help!

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you didnt update to firmware 3.1.3 you can JB and unlock it.
    If you did then you cant.
    You can always use AT&T roaming but calls and data would be expensive.
    You can use it an ipod touch while you're there by removing your simcard and connecting to wifi only.

3. TwoSocEmBoppers thread starter Guest

True. But I would then need to get a different phone. Not the worst thing in the world I guess.

Thanks for the help.