Using US Macbooks in the UK

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MortimerJazz, Dec 26, 2007.

1. MortimerJazz macrumors regular

I'm off to the US in the new year and thinking about picking up a Macbook.

My question concerns the power required for charging. My understanding is that the the electricity in the US is of a higher voltage than in the UK.

Does that mean I'll have any problems? Will I need to get a whole new charger or will the equivalent of a travel charger be enough?

Thanks alot for your help

2. Chillijam macrumors member

Chillijam

You should be fine. The adapter states that it will accept 100 - 240 volt, 50-60 Hz input, so it will handle the differences in the power coming out of the holes in your walls.

You will, however, need to take account of the different form factors of the plugs. You can either pick up a simple travel adapter for a few quid at the airport, pick up a figure-8 cable from a decent electrical outlet (or possibly Maplins), or if you are feeling really flush you could buy the genuine Apple part or travel adapter.

HTH

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

UK voltage is higher than US I believe, but that doesn't matter.

Apple products (at least the portables and iPods) comes with universal power adapters. It works in UK.

However you need a plug adapter because of different plug. Perhaps you can buy a proper plug at the UK apple store.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestic_AC_power_plugs_and_sockets

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm using a US MBP in NZ and it works fine. As mentioned, it comes with a US plug, however the power brick works the same way as an iPod one, so I just nabbed the plug from that.

5. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

As long as you have an adapter to convert the prongs of the power brick into the UK specific prongs, you should be fine. You do not need to worry about voltage ratings, as the power brick is designed to be used universally.