Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Anyone try using the 29W USB-C brick for charging say your iPad?

From the markings it says the brick supports 5V 2.4A charging which makes it the same as the 12W iPad charger. I know I need an adapter to make it work, but has anyone given it a shot?

I took the wrong charger on a trip. I'll probably try it later, just hope I don't fry my iPad... :eek:

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
You can't "fry" an ipad by using the wrong charger. You can "fry" a charger if you attempt to pull more current from it than it's rated for. The ipad will pull the current it needs, the 2.4A charger should be fine for this. But I don't know whether a USB-C to USB-A converter will pass the charge on. Probably...

johnparjr

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Earth
You can't use the Macbook one its usb-c so you would need a new cable which they don't make USB-C to lightning. I guess you could do USB-C to USB then use a lightning cable but why would you:rolleyes:

melb00m

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2011
You can't use the Macbook one its usb-c so you would need a new cable which they don't make USB-C to lightning. I guess you could do USB-C to USB then use a lightning cable but why would you:rolleyes:

My guess is that we will see USB-C to Lightning very soon -- maybe not from Apple directly, but definitely from third party vendors.
Meanwhile, you can use the USB-C to USB female adapter on the charger and connect the lightning cable with the adapter.

themacuser

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2010

Oh yes, they do...

FinderScreenSnapz001.jpg

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.3.kNKxEg&id=44891891271&ns=1&abbucket=13#detail

You have to order it from overseas. I don't recommend anyone doing it unless they are willing to take chances. It's hit or miss. Some of the stuff are excellent, others are poorly made.

My cable should be arriving tomorrow. Now, if my computer can get here (4-6weeks) , I can actually test the cable. :p

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I will probably pick up one of those USB-C lightning cables, but they want ¥12 for shipping on a ¥28 item? I think I'll pass.

I guess you could do USB-C to USB then use a lightning cable but why would you:rolleyes:

Because I brought the wrong charger?

Not sure what's with the eye roll… did you even read my post?

themacuser

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2010
"I will probably pick up one of those USB-C lightning cables, but they want ¥12 for shipping on a ¥28 item? I think I'll pass."

Huh??? :eek: 28RMB is $4.50 U.S Dollars. 12RMB is $1.90 U.S. (Of course, that's domestic Chinese shipping) But that's not expensive!!!! Even if you have it shipped half way across the world, I doubt you can buy a USB-C to lightning cable cheaper.

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
"I will probably pick up one of those USB-C lightning cables, but they want ¥12 for shipping on a ¥28 item? I think I'll pass."

Huh??? :eek: 28RMB is $4.50 U.S Dollars. 12RMB is $1.90 U.S. (Of course, that's domestic Chinese shipping) But that's not expensive!!!! Even if you have it shipped half way across the world, I doubt you can buy a USB-C to lightning cable cheaper.

When in China you get spoiled when it comes to delivery charges. For a simple cable more than 6 RMB is indeed on the high side, often they delivery for free (even if the cable only costs 10 RMB...)

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
One thing to keep in mind is that the rMB charger has a USB-C port on it, not USB. So how would you use it to charge your iPad even with an adapter?

themacuser

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2010
When in China you get spoiled when it comes to delivery charges. For a simple cable more than 6 RMB is indeed on the high side, often they delivery for free (even if the cable only costs 10 RMB...)

That's true, but I travel there fairly regularly. I have discovered the cost of living and prices have gone up quite a bit. Even cheap kuaidi (delivery) is starting to go up. #

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
That's true, but I travel there fairly regularly. I have discovered the cost of living and prices have gone up quite a bit. Even cheap kuaidi (delivery) is starting to go up. #

Cost of living is definitely going up, haven't noticed a price increase on kuaidis yet I have to say, might need to pay attention to that.

johnparjr

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Earth
I will probably pick up one of those USB-C lightning cables, but they want ¥12 for shipping on a ¥28 item? I think I'll pass.

Because I brought the wrong charger?

Not sure what's with the eye roll… did you even read my post?

I did read your post:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.