Using USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter with External DVD Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Asthmatic Kitty, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Asthmatic Kitty, Mar 28, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2017

Asthmatic Kitty macrumors member

Asthmatic Kitty

Am planning to buy an external DVD drive to connect to my 2015 MacBook through the multiport adaptor, and was just wondering if there were any issues with this - it sounds like the drive needs powering by whatever it's connected to, and I wasn't sure if the power cable I connect through the USB-C port on the adaptor would go to both the MacBook, and the other way to the drive?

Are there likely to be any issues connecting the disk drive, playing it through the MacBook to an external 1440p monitor? Can this little thing handle all that, or is it going to start spewing smoke through the speaker vents? ;)

One of the reviews for a drive that I'm looking at said the following, which is why I'm checking:

2. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

I just tried my Apple Superdrive connected to my 2016 MacBook through the Apple multiport adapter and it played a DVD. It worked fine, even without wall power supplied to the adapter.

Don't have an external monitor to try.

3. Agent47 macrumors member

My 2016 MacBook also works fine using the Apple Superdrive connected via the Apple usb-c multipart adapter. Also works fine doing this connected to a HDTV via HDMI.

4. Asthmatic Kitty thread starter macrumors member

Asthmatic Kitty

Great, thanks for confirming guys.

Hope the LG one i'm leaning towards works just as well. (The Superdrive is four times the price, so ruling that out!)

5. Treyhunna macrumors member

Treyhunna

my LG drive works fine with the apple multiport adapter and 2016 rMB

6. Asthmatic Kitty thread starter macrumors member

Asthmatic Kitty