Using Verizon iP6 in Canada for a few days

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by acousticbiker, Jun 21, 2015.

1. acousticbiker macrumors 6502

Going on a trip to Vancouver for a few days next week and have a Verizon iP6 - can anyone provide recommendations on most economical/convenient way to get service for 4 days? Thanks!

2. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Are you coming from Seattle by any chance?

I just use a prepaid Tmo sim when I go there, I have an unlocked iPhone 6 which was originally bought from AT&T. The service costs 30 and their speeds are decent to open Google Maps, emails and iMessage. I don't use it for phone calls, rather route everything to face time audio or Skype.

3. acousticbiker thread starter macrumors 6502

Where do you get one of those? And what does it include for $30?

4. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

I believe it's one of the Tmo plans you get fr Walmart, you can try to search for it at Tmo's website, it has 5gb data, 100mins and unlimited txt. And since they have free int'l txting and data (limited speed overseas) it does well when I need to txt back people at Seattle or anywhere in the US.

5. acousticbiker thread starter macrumors 6502

Anyone know whether the pay as you go option ($3 for 30 min or text and $10 for 1GB) includes international/Canada?

6. g35 macrumors 6502a

This plan doesn't work in Canada. At least that's what T-Mobile told me, that no prepaid will work in Canada. I also tried receiving a text message while in Canada and it didn't come through

7. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Odd, when was this? I was just there last month and mine worked. Did they just recently change it?

8. g35 macrumors 6502a

This is now...I don't know why my texts weren't coming through before but they are now. So how does billing work? Is there any extra charge for using the phone in Canada? Since my phone does now receive texts in Canada (and based on what you said) I assume what I was repeatedly told by T-Mobile was wrong. I haven't seen any official info about billing for roaming in Canada. What's your experience been?

9. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Are you using the $30 prepaid plan to begin with? Or it sounds like you're on postpaid?

If you're on prepaid, as long as you have enough balance and prepay for the $30 one, you won't get any other charges. If you're on postpaid simple choice plan starting at $50, you wouldn't see anything on the billing statement. Just let it roam at Canada, txts are free both incoming and outgoing to USA but calls are subjected to a different rate. Data is also no free, no roaming charges but tethering isn't allowed and it is reduced speeds so don't expect to stream a long video or something, Google maps loads fine with it though.