iPad Using Verizon iPad LTE with AT&T SIM

Discussion in 'iPad' started by KeepCalmPeople, Nov 1, 2012.

1. KeepCalmPeople, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012

KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

A question, before I visit my local AT&T store (can't be sure they'll give me the whole truth):

My wife has a Verizon iPad LTE. I won't bore you with why. Our family has AT&T phones on the AT&T Family Share Plan, with 6GB shared.

My wife is currently paying $20 a month for 1GB of data with Verizon, prepaid. A couple of times she has used up the data is less than a month.
    With an AT&T SIM I could add her to our Family Share Plan for $10 a month and she would have access to up to 6GB of data each month (we have not used more than 3GB in a month so far).

This seems like a good way to save $10 a month and avoid selling her iPad for an AT&T model (the plus would be an upgrade to the 4th gen, the minus is a $300 - 400 loss). I know she will get AT&T HSPA+ only, but that is still pretty quick and I don't think she'll notice the difference.

Anything I'm missing? Should I be able to get a free SIM from AT&T?

2. Baggio, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012

Baggio macrumors 6502

You won't get LTE on AT&T. The verizon model has different LTE frequencies than AT&T. You will HSPA+ or psuedo 4G. ;)

3. bogatyr macrumors 65816

They might charge you $15 for the SIM - they did when I got a new one for an old iPad a year ago. But other than that, should be no issues.

4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

He clearly said he knows that. But that aside, I believe it should work. The Verizon iPhone five works like that, but I'm not positive about the iPad.

5. Baggio macrumors 6502

It should work. All iPads are SIM unlocked.

The previous Verizon 3G iPad did not have SIM for GSM networks, but I believe they added the SIM for the LTE models.

6. KeepCalmPeople thread starter macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

Thanks for the answers folks. I think I'll talk to AT&T to confirm. The only remaining questions are:
    1) What will Verizon charge me to give me a new micro-SIM when the time comes to sell?
    2) Will I be able to pry the iPad out of my wife's hands long enough to take it to an AT&T store and get it set up?

7. KeepCalmPeople thread starter macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

I went to my local AT&T store and the manager said that a Verizon iPad won't work on AT&T's network.
    I then talked to AT&T live chat online and the CSR told me that 'Verizon is CDMA and AT&T is GSM' so it wouldn't work.

Perhaps I'll just pull the SIM out of one of the phones and put it into the iPad to test it...?