Using Verizon iPhone 6 on AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by falcora, Sep 11, 2014.

1. falcora macrumors 6502

I did some searching and didn't find the exact same predicament, so I apologize if this is a repost.

So I'm on a mobile share value plan with AT&T, and I want to get the 6. That basically means I have to pay full price for the phone. That is fine, I can afford it so I'm not interested in Next, complex subsidies, etc.

So because I have to pay full price, I want to figure out the best way to get an unlocked version. I want the option to put in sims from other countries when I travel, or potentially switch to the Verizon network down the road.

Questions:
    1) Does the Verizon iPhone come unlocked?
    2) Does the AT&T iPhone come unlocked?
    3) Are there any cellular bands that the AT&T network uses that are unsupported by the Verizon iPhone? i.e. if I use the Verizon iPhone with my current AT&T plan, will I see worse service? Even in rural areas?
    4) Can I buy the Verizon iPhone without a plan at full retail price?

Thanks for the help, just trying to sort things out before the preorders begin tonight.

2. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Just buy the phone on NEXT/JUMP/EDGE...whatever. Once you get the phone, go into your carriers store and pay it off (since you have the money set aside already). Once it's paid off, the law requires them to unlock it at your request.

Simple.

3. bwerner25, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014

bwerner25 macrumors member

Unless something has drastically changed with the 6 series, the Verizon iPhone 6 won't work on AT&T regardless of being unlocked. The motherboards are different for CDMA and GSM.

I'm pretty sure an unlocked AT&T phone would work overseas however. And if you wanted to switch to Verizon later on why not just sell your AT&T phone and get one from Verizon when you start your new service?

*Edit*

As others have pointed out the Verizon phone will work on AT&T. However, you won't have access to the 4GLTE network.

4. boobie12 macrumors 6502

Yes it should work. My sister has a veriOn Iphone 5 that's on AT&T.

5. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Something did drastically change... as far back as the iPhone 5. :cool:

6. bwerner25 macrumors member

Really? Because I've recently had to put a AT&T motherboard into a Verizon iPhone 5 to get it to work on LTE. Maybe if you like 3g you could use it.;)

7. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

You stated it wouldnt work at all (and my response was before your edit). It always did work, just not with LTE.

Since the 5S, you wouldn't have to do any of the above. The Verizon phone LTE works just fine on AT&T and Tmobile.

8. falcora thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok thanks for the tips. Sounds like since the 5S, the bands are the same for LTE. Only difference between the two is that the Verizon one has CDMA bands as well for voice.

Sounds like I'll try and order an unlocked Verizon model, but if it won't let me to that without a Verizon account I'll just do the AT&T model. As others pointed out, it shouldn't be a big deal to sell/trade it for a Verizon one if I decide to jump networks later on.

9. bwerner25 macrumors member

Touché. Forgot the Verizon 5s worked on the AT&T frequencies.

So there's your answer. I would think both phones would work exactly the same unlocked regarding the service. But I would still sell my AT&T to get the Verizon when I switched plans just to get a new phone.